Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Modern equivalent of Vixen 32mm Erfle (36.4 barrel)?

Frustatingly I have been unable to find my lovely Vixen 32mm Erfle, which had a 36.4mm thread & therefore larger FOV than a 31.7mm. It was a "Circle V" late 1980s eyepiece, which gave about 60 to 65 degree AFOV. I have even bought adapter rings to convert to 2 inch (50.8mm), but now can't find the ep!

What more modern ep would give same or better FOV & performance? My TV Plossl is 31.7mm & Vixen NLVW 30mm is 2 inch. The former has a smaller FOV & latter I'm uncertain about. My missing Erfle had good eye relief and performed well at F5 & F8.

IMG_20171125_190036_edit.jpg

IMG_20171125_190141_edit.jpg

IMG_20171125_190103.jpg

I think the Skywatcher Panaviews and similar SWA eyepieces (see below) are basically erfles:

http://www.opticstar.com/Run/Astronomy/Astro-Accessories-Telescopes-Ascension.asp?p=0_10_5_1_1_5

Depends on how fussy you are about edge correction at F/5 though - erfles are not generally noted for good edge correction in fast scopes :icon_scratch:

2 minutes ago, John said:

I think the Skywatcher Panaviews and similar SWA eyepieces (see below) are basically erfles:

http://www.opticstar.com/Run/Astronomy/Astro-Accessories-Telescopes-Ascension.asp?p=0_10_5_1_1_5

Depends on how fussy you are about edge correction at F/5 though - erfles are not generally noted for good edge correction in fast scopes :icon_scratch:

Thank you John :)  Remembering the Vixen, it only had slight edge distortion which did not bother me as the rest of its fov was fine. 

• 2 weeks later...

In the end I bought a TSO 32mm Erfle 70 deg fov as it seems closest to my missing Vixen. 

It will be interesting Thirtysomething comparison with Vixen NLVW 30, TV 35 Panoptic, TV 32mm Plossl & TSO 30mm 80 deg - from some of the humblest to most exotic! 

Archived