sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

M86 and a part of the Markarian Chain

Taken 30 Nov 17.

30 subs of 120s

Flats/bias/darks x 10 each.

Atik 4120EX OSC camera 

Celestron C11 with Hyperstar

Mesu 200 mount.

Quick process in Pixinsight.

Thanks for looking.

M86.jpg

• Like 4

Well done. I think that you might have bagged the "first of the season" prize.

Can't wait for next month when it will be getting a bit higher.

Truly one of the best galactic sights!

Paul

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Quetzalcoatl72
      Not sure what topic to put this in but I've been struggling with deep sky stacker, because of my optlong ccd light pollution filter most nebulas come out one shade of red, for example the Monkey's head nebula, see attached example. Dumbell and ring turned out as seen online and Stellarium. All 3 images were taken with a rct f/8 and a canon 600DA. I've never tried these objects without the filter as I got new equipment and this is the most active I've been in my hobby for many years. I'm not spending hundreds or thousands on software so preferably if i can get the correct colour on these with dss or some other free/semi free software that would be great. Thanks 

• By VilleM
      Hello, I shot this during four moonless nights in February and March. I tried to image it only during very good conditions to get most of the background galaxies. The dimmest I found is magnitude 20.
      Annotated image can be seen on my blog:
      https://www.evenfall.space/post/markarians-chain

Technical details:
      Skywatcher Esprit 100mm f/5.5, EQ6, ZWO ASI1600MM-C, TS Optics LRGB.
      L: 280x120s, R/G/B 90x120s each. Total exposure time is approx. 18 hours.

• By mdstuart
      Looking clear so I have been preparing my galaxy target list. I have been doing this for a while so these galaxies are typically mag 13/14 with a relatively high surface brightness in the plough.
      They have been selected using the skytools software. I have preflagged those galaxies that look possible with my 20 inch dob in mag 5 skies. Normally I have a 90% success rate with this method.
      I pick those to the N to NE which is darker for me as this is towards the Cotswolds.
      I have printed off charts to aid with star hoping. I use a RACI finder, then a 16mm eyepiece to locate the field and then a 10mm eyepiece to spot the galaxy. I might get through 7/8 galaxies in a session.
      So the list:
      NGC3517/NGC3530/UGC6534/NGC4081/NGC3648/NGC3694
      For the finale I will try the NGC3561/ARP105/NGC3554/NGC3552/NGC3550 group to see how many I can pick out.

Now I just need the sky to stay clear.
      If you fancy observing any of these tonight we can compare notes.
      Mark 
    • By JemC
      Hi all,
      Not sure which section to put this in? getting started or cameras, (Mods please move if necessary)
      Need a little help/advice/recommendations,
      I have been away from my telescope/astrophotography for about 2 maybe 3 years, i kind of lost the mojo for it, but now looking to get back to it,  So i'm looking for camera advice/help,
      Previously i only ever used a DSLR for astrophotography, however i am thinking do i stick with that or do i get something different? I know there will be a learning curve with new camera setup,
      My area of interest is/would be Nebulae and Galaxies,i know there is no one camera fits all kind of thing, so Nebulae would be my main interest with Galaxies coming 2nd.
      My current scope is the (Older Blue Model) Sky-Watcher Evostar 80 DS-PRO ED, so with that in mind what would be a good camera to pair that with, colour or mono i'm not fussed really,
      My budget for new/2nd hand camera is £700 but could maybe stretch to £800.
      Any help/advice (good or bad) will be greatly appreciated. 
      Regards
      JemC
    • By Sidecontrol
      Hi Everyone,

Not posted some images since my introduction in the welcome section.  With the dark nights finally back here in Scotland I thought Id share some of the DSOs I managed to capture back in Feb-April just before the light nights rolled in at the start of May.

These were all stacked and edited in PixInsight.  
      1.  The Running Man and Orion Nebula - less than an hour of integration time (SA pro + fuji 55-200mm lens).
      2. Bodes and Cigar Galaxy - Less than an hour of integration time ( SA pro + SW 72 ED telescope). 
      3. Flame, Horsehead, Running Man and Orion Nebula - Less than an hour of integration time (SA pro + fuji 55-200mm lens).
      4. Pinwheel Galaxy - 35 mins integration time (SA pro + SW 72 ED telescope).
      5  Whirlpool Galaxy - 21 mins integration time (SA pro + SW 72 ED telescope). 
      6.  Andromeda Galaxy - 1.5 minutes integration time (Move Shoot Move + fuji 55-200mm lens).  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.