Quick romp amongst Orion's Binaries

John

Having had an evening out at the theatre I've only had time for 20 mins or so out with the Tak FC-100DL having a peek at Orions delights.

- E & F Trapezium are more routinely seen with this scope than with my other 4" frac, the Vixen ED102SS. With the Tak tonight the 10mm Pentax XW (90x) showed them both in direct vision with the other 4 Trap stars very tight and sharp.

- Alnitak (Zeta Orionis) is becoming one of my favourite doubles in this part of the sky. Lovely spit of this uneven brightness 2.2 arc second pair at 225x tonight. The dim C star was also in sight 58 arc seconds apart from the close, bright pair.

- Eta Orionis is another gem. The separation is around 1.7 arc seconds I think and the componants again of uneven brightness upping the challenge a little more. The Tak defines this one really well at 225x or much more if you want !

- 32 Orionis is tighter again. Around 1.3 arc seconds I think. Upped the power on this to take it from a touching pair to pick out a sliver of black separating the stars at 300x. Really good test double for a good 4" refractor, the seeing conditions plus the observer as well !

- 52 Orionis. Got elongation on this one with suggestions of a "waist" where the two airy disks are touching. I think this one currently has a separation of around 1.1 arc seconds so it's a real toughie. No "cigar" this evening on this one but it was fun trying.

Nice, short but sweet, session :icon_biggrin:

THATSALLFOLKS-650x650.jpg

There's some tough targets - I had a brief look at Eta Orionis in passing earlier as it's relatively easy to find. 38 and 52 would be good to try although I don't know if I would split them.

I hadn't realized Alnitak was a binary.  I've added this to my list for my next go round. Orion has always been one of my favorites, and these targets give me more excuse to surf the skies in that area some more.  Thanks for sharing.

A very nice report John as always. I was going to stay out to see Orion come up myself but it was so wet here tonight, clear yes, but so so wet. The eyepiece case lids look like the had been rained on, the scope too for that matter. Had some stunning views of the Moon with the E4.7mm, with that extra 10 degrees they go to eleven.

Alan

19 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

I find it impressive that the E and F stars of the trapezium are now routine viewing! I’ve still not managed even the E which I believe should be the easier of the two?!?

I reckon your 6mm Baader GO or your 8mm BST are your best bets Neil. Build up to E & F through Rigel's companion star and then the mag 9 member of Sigma Orionis. If both those targets are clearly split and visible then E & F (E is easier) Trapezium are possible.

3 minutes ago, John said:

I reckon your 6mm Baader GO or your 8mm BST are your best bets Neil. Build up to E & F through Rigel's companion star and then the mag 9 member of Sigma Orionis. If both those targets are clearly split and visible then E & F (E is easier) Trapezium are possible.

Thank you, John. I’ll take that approach next time and report back :) 

Archived