Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Making 3D Moon from Diurnal libration. Russia.

All greetings from Russia!

A little creative. :happy11:
Let's try to feel the three-dimensionality of the moon with the help of daily libration
This type of libration arises from the movement of the observer during the rotation of the Earth.

This animation create from 2 frames taked on November 9 from the yard of the villa at 30 km east of Moscow. The first at 03:40 AM and the second at 5:45 AM, after 2 hours.
According to my calculations, during this time the observer moved to 1700 km (at my latitude 55 degrees north).
Which explains the observed effect.

10 intermediate animation frames are made without the use of morph programs (it impair quality)
Here, a simple change in the transparency (0, 10, 20%, etc) of the top layer in Photoshop.

Used equipment:
Celestron C14 EdgeHD @ CGE Pro. Optics tested as 0.96 Strel.
QHY5III178M, Baader 610RG.
This combination of a large focal length and a small pixel (2.4μ) makes it possible to achieve a very good scale (here 0.13 "/ pixel) without using the Barlow lens (and with maximal contrast)

The used program stack - FireCapture - AutoStakkert 3 - DStation Deconvolution Software - Photoshop with some additional plug-ins.
About 25% of the ~ 5000 frames were sent to the stack.

Seing was 7/10 points, without jet streams, transparency of 1/5 points (light fog)
The height of the object is more than 50 degrees.
In the result photo, a 50% scale, in order not to increase the size of the animation file.

b97e6028-5360-46ca-b64b-4d8ae0a88c80.gif

That's a very nice experiment! I used to create 3D views by combining two images taken at the same selenographic longitude, but with different libration angles. To show the 3D effect, however, you need a 3D TV set.

Your technique works with a simple monitor. Very good!

Archived