Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep29_banner.thumb.jpg.da7f3b163f7bd35187cb558b0346baf6.jpg

PhotoGav

Please Help Me Upgrade My Mount...

1 hour ago, swag72 said:

If I was buying a new mount there'd only be a couple of retailers I would buy from..... in my opinion alone a reliable retailer that you know will deal with any issues quickly and without issue is worth far more than anything else.....

Hear, hear.  Couldn't agree more.

There's also Astrophysics mounts to consider.  I have the Mach1GTO and has never given me any issues. Though the exchange rate isn't as polite these days compared to when I got mine.  They also have the absolute encoder and without versions for the 1100 (but is definitely £'s) but should keep you going for a fair while.

More middle range mounts to consider might be the Vixen's; they are also a lot more portable (apart from the Atlux) but weight capacity is less.

• Like 2

So much depends on what you're going to mount on it! However, I believe in future-proofing so consider something robust with good payload capacity to cover any further decision you may make. I have only had two mounts, an EQ6 and a Mesu 200, both have delivered wonderfully for what they were originally bought for however, the Mesu is truly future proof as it just works with plenty of spare capacity for the future. The Mesu has a very low PE but that doesn't mean you don't need to guide with - you do.

Keep the Mesu 200 high on your wish list and only remove it if you have a VERY good reason.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your excellent input to this lovely question. The Mesu 200 seems to be ticking the most boxes and at the mid price point is actually something I might be able to afford this decade.

A few questions regarding the Mesu 200:
- Where is a good place to purchase this mount? According to their website there are only two suppliers, themselves and Modern Astronomy.
- Is anyone using a Mesu 200 on a Pulsar pier? Which adapter plate is required to attach the mount to the pier - the Pulsar website doesn't list one for Mesu?
- Does the mount have an ASCOM driver - I can't find anything in my quick search? How do you connect to the mount from things like SGP and PHD2?

Sorry, so many questions... and this is just the beginning!

I considered the Mesu and emailed Bernard at MA about it. I think Pulsar can drill a custom puck for your pier.

The reason I looked elsewhere was my concern over the exposed electronics as I would be using a Telegizmos cover rather than an obsy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DaveS said:

I considered the Mesu and emailed Bernard at MA about it. I think Pulsar can drill a custom puck for your pier.

The reason I looked elsewhere was my concern over the exposed electronics as I would be using a Telegizmos cover rather than an obsy.

Thank you. I have just found online Steve's review of the Mesu 200 in The Sky At Night magazine from a few years ago - a very informative and helpful write up. The more I read, the more I like it! Thankfully I have the Pulsar dome to house it in.

12 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

Thank you all for your excellent input to this lovely question. The Mesu 200 seems to be ticking the most boxes and at the mid price point is actually something I might be able to afford this decade.

- Where is a good place to purchase this mount? According to their website there are only two suppliers, themselves and Modern Astronomy.
- Is anyone using a Mesu 200 on a Pulsar pier? Which adapter plate is required to attach the mount to the pier - the Pulsar website doesn't list one for Mesu?
- Does the mount have an ASCOM driver - I can't find anything in my quick search? How do you connect to the mount from things like SGP and PHD2?

Sorry, so many questions... and this is just the beginning!

1. I believe Bern at MA is the UK outlet, and is great to deal with.  Don't forget the price doesn't include weights, you will need to add them. 
  2. Mesu do a plate which has a central bolt.  You can drill this to suit the existing pier (I believe @kirkster501 did this), or have the pier top adapted to suit.  I was having my pier made so sent them the plate and had it made to suit it.  You can see the plate on the top of my pier here.20170820_145314.thumb.jpg.492555ebec05275c5c7db990a144b8e1.jpg
  3. There is an ASCOM driver and it works perfectly with SGP, PHD2, CdC and other software.

Edited by RayD
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

1. The two sources you mention are the only ones currently available

2. Yes, I use a Pulsar pier but I have always had an adaptor plate on mine originally designed for my EQ6. I got Modern Astronomy to supply a matching plate drilled to 'simulate' an EQ6 - instant easy mounting!

3. Yes, the mount does have an ASCOM driver - this is part of the SiTech controller's software pack.

Excellent, thank you Ray & Steve. The saving process has started. I will be in touch with Bern when the piggy bank is approaching bursting point! Oooh, I'm a bit excited about it now!

2 hours ago, schmeah said:

The Mesu sounds like a great choice. But with your stated plans regarding scopes, and desire to dual mount a second smaller scope, I would also consider the new dual mounted Avalon M Uno D. 

http://www.avalon-instruments.com/archive-news/152-new-m-uno-d

Good luck with your new setup!

Derek

Thank you, that’s an interesting mount from Avalon. Unfortunately these are dreams at the moment, the saving process always takes far longer than the spending process!!

On 29/11/2017 at 12:52, swag72 said:

Do I like my Mesu? Yes I do..... but here's the thing. I've recently got another mount for my dual rig. I wanted a large payload and so that led me to Mesu type capacity. I didn't want another Mesu and so I got a second hand EQ8. It has my dual rig on it and so it's not taxing it at all with regards to guiding (3.37" per pixel). I have to say that so far I am VERY impressed. The PA adjustment is 100x better than the Mesu for me. It seems to be well engineered and there's no backlash that I have found. I've had it guiding for a few hours now and it guided without missing a beat at 0.5 RMS. Am I glad that I bought the EQ8? Yes I am. 

There has been so much prejudice against Sky-Watcher's flagship mount (how dare they enter the big boy's playground!) so I am delighted to read your thoughts. 

You bought it secondhand, and you own a Mesu. Brilliant!  

On 29/11/2017 at 12:52, swag72 said:

If the question was asked 'Would you buy another Mesu?' ... well I didn't .... if you asked me would I buy another EQ8? Then I'd certainly get one. 

You actually said that out aloud! You, are a brave woman! :icon_salut: :biggrin: 

Steve 

I will always speak as I find Steve and I have to say that so far I can't fault the EQ8...... it is worth noting though that I am using it at 3.37" pp and the Mesu at 0.63" pp..... Can the mesu cope at 0.63"? Yes it can..... would the EQ8 be able to guide as well at 0.63"? I don't know and I'm not going to try it!

So I can safely say that for my purposes the EQ8 is excellent, but that's not to say that it would compare as well or better even than the Mesu when under pressure. If someone asked me about the EQ8 at tight guiding resolution I'd have to say that I really don't know :) 

On 11/12/2017 at 15:39, swag72 said:

So I can safely say that for my purposes the EQ8 is excellent, but that's not to say that it would compare as well or better even than the Mesu when under pressure. 

That people do, invariably, compare the EQ8 with the Mesu (costing over double the price of an EQ8!) speaks volumes :smile: 

Steve 

• Like 1

Unfortunately it is the ability to guide at 0.55"/pixel that is important to me too! If anybody has experience of the EQ8 at around that resolution, please join the conversation...

1 hour ago, FLO said:

You bought it secondhand, and you own a Mesu. Brilliant!  

You actually said that out aloud! You, are a brave woman! :icon_salut: 

It has always struck me Steve in our conversations that you've always thought I'm a bit of a 'gear snob'......... ?...... honestly I just want stuff that works ?

I wish my Mesu would run with EQMod :rolleyes2:.  Sitech might be potentially powerful but user-friendly it isn't!

Helen

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, swag72 said:

It has always struck me Steve in our conversations that you've always thought I'm a bit of a 'gear snob'......... ?...... honestly I just want stuff that works ?

I won't deny it :blush: 

Please accept my apologies, I am very pleased to be wrong. 

It isn't expensive kit I am against (I'm a retailer!) but the way some who own it sap enjoyment from those who choose, or need, to use more affordable kit. 

Apologies also to Gav for having hijacked his conversation. 

Steve 

• Like 1

Steve - far from hi-jacked, you have added an interesting dimension to the discussion and I thank you! It is always the question whether just because something is more expensive it will actually perform any better? Quite often that isn't the case, or at least doesn't perform significantly better or the improvement is not actually noticable, especially with astro gear and the poor quality of our skies most of the time. I am suffering from exactly this problem with my other purchase choice - a Takahashi FSQ106 or a Skywatcher Esprit 100? The price points are poles apart, but would I notice or even need the better performance that the Tak should offer and especially for the three grand plus involved?! In the meantime, I need some money to actually purchase all this lovely kit!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

Steve - far from hi-jacked, you have added an interesting dimension to the discussion and I thank you! It is always the question whether just because something is more expensive it will actually perform any better? Quite often that isn't the case, or at least doesn't perform significantly better or the improvement is not actually noticable, especially with astro gear and the poor quality of our skies most of the time. I am suffering from exactly this problem with my other purchase choice - a Takahashi FSQ106 or a Skywatcher Esprit 100? The price points are poles apart, but would I notice or even need the better performance that the Tak should offer and especially for the three grand plus involved?! In the meantime, I need some money to actually purchase all this lovely kit!

Generally speaking more expensive kit 'does' perform better but you are right, the law of diminishing returns dictates the difference is minor and sometimes largely cosmetic (i.e. the Esprit-100's optics is right up there with Takahashi's but it's fit and finish is more workmanlike). 

And often the difference between one mount and another, or one telescope and another, is insignificant when compared to the attitude and aptitude of the person using it. 

Oh, and living under a clear sky is definitely an advantage! 

Steve

• Like 2

Quite!

Interesting what you say about the Esprit - I might be contacting you separately with a credit card about that one!!

When I dualled up my rig last year, I wanted the same FOV as I was getting on my FSQ85, so it was a no brainer...... I got another. If I was in a position where I was looking at a Tak106 type scope, and the Esprit fitted the bill I'd get one of them for sure...... and from FLO as if you have an issue they sort it quickly and without fuss.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, swag72 said:

When I dualled up my rig last year, I wanted the same FOV as I was getting on my FSQ85, so it was a no brainer...... I got another. If I was in a position where I was looking at a Tak106 type scope, and the Esprit fitted the bill I'd get one of them for sure...... and from FLO as if you have an issue they sort it quickly and without fuss.

Thank you for that Sara, though you will have to explain yourself a bit better, please. Is this because you don't think a Tak is worth all that expense or because the Esprit will deliver a good enough result for a significantly lower price. I guess it is a 'value' thing? Please do put me off wanting the Tak as that would make it so much easier / cheaper! As for FLO, yes, the gentlemen there are extremely good to deal with, when things go well and when things don't go so well!

Do I think that the Tak FSQ106 is worth the money? Yes and no...... but do I think that the Tak QC these days is good enough for the price they charge? From what I read and hear on forums then I don't think it is. I was VERY nervous when I got my second new one....... I shouldn't have had to even consider that it wouldn't perform at that price point.

• Like 1

Thank you for sharing your very honest appraisal as ever, Sara. When I consider that, alongside Steve (steppenwolf) 's experiences of Takahashi telescopes, I am a step closer to being happy to spend much less on the Skywatcher Esprit. My general philosophy is to purchase the absolute best that I can at the time, but it is often hard to establish what 'the best' actually is! So, thank you for your help and advice.