Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

Hi, Everyone could with a little advice on connecting a my Synscan v4 to my laptop.

I now how to do it and also know about USB serial adapters, what i am wondering is my laptop has a RJ11 coms port but in the Synscan V4 Manual it says you need a RJ12 port as the cable supplied  is RJ12. The RJ12 cable fits into the RJ11 perfectly

Is there much difference in these and could i still connect using the method or do i have to go and buy the USB serial adapter?

if anyone can shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 

You must use either a serial port (older computers) or a usb-serial adapter along with the supplied serial data cable to connect the handset to a computer. The handset is basically a serial device so needs to connect to a computer using a serial port (real or usb adapter) . The handset uses an RJ12 socket simply because of the size, or lack thereof. Also, you should never connect the computer directly to the mount.

Ok so I've been a bit of air head here and got the name of the of port mixed up!!!

My laptop has a RS-232C port and cable supplied fits.

I tried to connect to stellarium last night but nothing seemed to happen. Does the handset need to be in PC direct mode after alignment for it to communicate?

2 minutes ago, Ulysses31 said:

Ok so I've been a bit of air head here and got the name of the of port mixed up!!!

My laptop has a RS-232C port and cable supplied fits.

I tried to connect to stellarium last night but nothing seemed to happen. Does the handset need to be in PC direct mode after alignment for it to communicate?

PC-Direct mode doesn't work with some planetarium programmes, including Stellarium.  Just do the initial star alignment then use Stellarium to control the mount.

2 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

PC-Direct mode doesn't work with some planetarium programmes, including Stellarium.  Just do the initial star alignment then use Stellarium to control the mount.

I tried this last night but when the configuration window/plug ins/telescope control it wouldn't let me click configure, nothing would happen and also when i connect cables to laptop it doesn't detect any devices?

If you are linking directly to your mount then you would need this type of cable https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/lynx-astro-ftdi-eqdir-usb-adapter-for-sky-watcher-eq5-pro-heq5-syntrek-pro-az-eq5-gt-az-eq6-gt-and-eq8-mounts.html  (check your mount is compatible first though).

Or as someone else mentioned earlier you would need a serial to usb adaptor (i don't want to recomend one here, as I've had no experience with this type of adaptor).

36 minutes ago, Ulysses31 said:

I tried this last night but when the configuration window/plug ins/telescope control it wouldn't let me click configure, nothing would happen and also when i connect cables to laptop it doesn't detect any devices?

Start Stellarium and then go to the telescope control plug-in and select the load on startup option. Close Stellarium and reopen it and return to the telescope control plug-in. The configure button should now be active. Select Add from the telescopes box then select "Stellarium directly through a serial port" . Select  "Start/Connect on startup" and then "Skywatcher Synscan V3" and comm port 1 for your RS232 port (serial data cable connected directly to computer).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

Start Stellarium and then go to the telescope control plug-in and select the load on startup option. Close Stellarium and reopen it and return to the telescope control plug-in. The configure button should now be active. Select Add from the telescopes box then select "Stellarium directly through a serial port" . Select  "Start/Connect on startup" and then "Skywatcher Synscan V3" and comm port 1 for your RS232 port (serial data cable connected directly to computer).

Thanks Peter will give this a go later.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By PlanetGazer
      I was hesitant to write this earlier, but I wanted to try all possible ways to get my new SkyWatcher 250P GOTO allgined, but to no avail.
      I have followed the instruction manuals of both the synscan and SW, and managed to get the message "alignment successful" multiple times on the handset or the app. The closest I got when I tried to dial a different star was a 20 to 25 degrees off on the azimth axis. Most times it's off by a margin on both axes.
      I have tried aligning around 30 times on more than 5 diffrenet occasions, different locations as well. I end up ignoring the thing and switch to navigating manually as the eager friends want to observe instantly, but we ran out of objectes and the planets are not close anymore, so I figured it's time to get deeper DSO's and sort out the GOTO.
      Here is what I do:
      • I level the scope to the zero reading on top of the base
      • I make sure the base is level with a spirit level I bought recently
      • I point the scope northish, but latley I bought compass to pinpoint north
      • I plug all equipments in and then switch on the power from a lead acid battery
      • I enter the date ( US fromat, month before day 😕 )
      • enter correct time zone obviously
      • the coordinates in the format of E 000 00 , N 00 00 
      • As for  elevation I use "my  elevation" app, not sure if it's accurate. Does this entry have to be that accurate?
      • I tried both brightest star and the 2 star align methods on the handset (which seems to be the same thing apart from the brightest method having an extra menu asking for which direction you are pointing at)
      I even used the synscan app and the synscan pro, and tried the 3 star align method. The app uses location and enters all data automatically
      •I use the top and right arrows as the last press before centring the star in the eyepiece as  recommended by the manual

These are the steps I follow when I align , is there anythung I missed? Your kind help is much appreciated.

Update: issue solved, check the reply in the second page

• By Oslet
      Sooo...I'm getting quote frustrated here. This spring I tested my HEQ5 with guiding. The synscan controller was connected to the computer trough the USB plug on the hand controller. This worked like a charm in my living room. On the new controllers you dont need the rs cable. But when I tried the whole thing with guide cameara for some live shooting, it just did not work. I get something wrong with the com port in decice manager, driver not working. I have tried 3 different drivers. The whole thing responded, connected and was guiding when i did a dummy test before the summer. So setup is pc-synscan via usb for pulse guiding. Can it be a problem with windows 10? What t h.... just happened? Where can I find a driver that works? And believe me it worked 5 months ago, argh. Thanks for any respons and support
    • By Phillips6549
      With several clear nights over the past week,  I've been playing with the Synscan Pro app (Android) in conjunction with a Synscan WiFi adapter on an EQ3Pro mount.  I have to say I'm generally quite impressed.  Much cheaper than buying a traditional handset.  
      However,  this evening I was trying to "creep up" on the Andromeda Galaxy by star hopping towards it via Mirach,  Mu Andromedae and Nu Andromedae.  Mirach was no problem but the other stars were not available for selection in the app.  Am I missing something?  I couldn't find any way to enter an SAO number or any other catalogue number to find the minor stars.  
      Is this a limitation of the app?  Or the adapter perhaps?  Or is it me? 
      Clear skies, 
      Mark. 
    • By Kronos831
      Sooo after coming back from holidays(have been gone for a month and a half) i discovered that i had forgotten to use the lens caps to protect my Panaview 32mm from dust....
      turns out, its dirty.Me having no idea what a "multiple element lens eyepiece " meant , learnt the hard way. I unscrewed the bottom part of the eyepiece and 2 lenses and a tiny ring came out... not knowing in how to put them in, tried a bunch of different ways, and still the eyepiece view was still bad.(couldnt even focus on daylight objects) after messing with it for a bit 3-5 more lenses came out. Now my 100$ eyepiece is totally screwed up and i have No idea how to fix it. I m panicking so much and i have absolutely no idea what to do. I hope i ddnt screw the lens up...
        if anyone thinks they can help me, i m gonna make a system in which you can tell me how to put the lenses back
      So lets name the first group of parts depending on their place from left to right : A(The first lens ), B(the ring) and C( The Thrid lens) , now, these i have no idea how to place them correctly (have in mind that A Is curved , if it gives you any information)
      The next 4 pieces you see are D(The thick ring), E(The big lens) F (the other ring) and G(the final lens)
      Here is a picture of each piece from both up side and bottom side
      First will be up and second would be down
      If anyone could give me instructions to as how i can put everything back together , i would be greatful
      (Uploading pictures in a bit)
    • By Kronos831
      Hey guys! Its been 8 months since i ve started the hobby of astronomy.I would like to dig deeper now,i am looking for a book in astrophysics that involves mostly formulas and mathematics.With so many books in the market its hard to defferentiate science books from just books with information about the subject 
      Thanks!
      -Kronos

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.