Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observing Orion.

cotterless45

Good stuff, Nick! Certainly some wonderful multiple stars in Orion, and for those with a darker site, some nice visual DSOs. Two nights back, it was gloriously clear here for an hour or so, with good/excellent (4/5) seeing, so A,B,C,D,E & F were visible in the Trapezium with my 15mm Vixen SLV, the Flame nebula and NGC 2023 nicely visible with my 38mm wf EP in the 180 Mak, and several transient views of the HorseHead - my second time now. 32 and 52 Orionis are nice doubles for those who like a challenge!

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Shouldn't it say, Bellatrix  rises, followed by the whole of Orion? Bellatrix rises 27 minutes before Betelgeuse, at least in my back yard (35.5 degrees North). Of course, Tabit clears the trees 34 minutes before Bellatrix does. Not that it really matters, though. Orion is my personal favorite part of the sky, from NGC2175 to Rigel. When I see Aldebaran above the ground clutter, I get my gear ready.

Archived