Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss.thumb.jpg.5b348d6a5e7f27bdcb79e9356b7fc03b.jpg

alynwallace

Baader mod for Canon 6D UK based?

Hi guys,

I'm looking to get a Baader mod to my Canon 6D as I would love to get some nice wide-field landscape images of Orion and the Milky Way etc.

Any recommendations for an active service in the UK or nearby?

Loads of websites about but not getting much in the way of responses.

Thanks in advance.

Have filled in the request form on their site already, hopefully I get a response from them soon then. No mention of the 6D on their website though but can't imagine it's that different to the others on offer?

I've recently had my 60D modded by Andy Ellis at Astronomiser.  Turned it round in a couple of weeks, and was pretty responsive to emails.  Sadly though, just checked their Canon listing, and Astronomiser apparently can't handle the 6D:

http://www.astronomiser.co.uk/booking.htm

Might be worth emailing him though, and asking why not...  His was the only service I could find in the UK that would handle my 60D.

Best of luck.

The Canon 6D is a very nice camera and I am not sure I would be willing to have this work done at all. My approach would be to buy another ready done, say a 50D or something like. I wouldn't do this to my 1DS mk2 and that is a good few year old now.

Alan

On 29/11/2017 at 12:26, alynwallace said:

Have filled in the request form on their site already, hopefully I get a response from them soon then. No mention of the 6D on their website though but can't imagine it's that different to the others on offer?

Hi Alyn,

Good to have you here. I admire your nightscapes and YouTube videos mate. Excellent stuff and you're one of the few to make it sound as exciting as I find it .... sometimes  :)  By hook or by crook I'll get out to Anglesey on a clear night !

Juan at Cheapastrophotography does have the 6D on his site but just in the for sale section - http://cheapastrophotography.vpweb.co.uk/Available-Cameras.html as far as I can see. Have you had a response from him yet ?

I hope to see what you can do with the modded camera. 

Good luck,

Dave.

Edited by davew

On 12/5/2017 at 14:27, alan potts said:

The Canon 6D is a very nice camera and I am not sure I would be willing to have this work done at all. My approach would be to buy another ready done, say a 50D or something like. I wouldn't do this to my 1DS mk2 and that is a good few year old now.

Alan

Thanks Alan. As a landscape astrophotographer I need the full-frame goodness of the 6D (also to utilise the collection of lenses I now have) and its incredible low light performance. Something like a 50d won't cut it for the way I shoot. Having recently picked up an A7SII I'm keen to give my 6D some extra life.

On 12/5/2017 at 15:17, davew said:

Hi Alyn,

Good to have you here. I admire your nightscapes and YouTube videos mate. Excellent stuff and you're one of the few to make it sound as exciting as I find it .... sometimes  :)  By hook or by crook I'll get out to Anglesey on a clear night !

Juan at Cheapastrophotography does have the 6D on his site but just in the for sale section - http://cheapastrophotography.vpweb.co.uk/Available-Cameras.html as far as I can see. Have you had a response from him yet ?

I hope to see what you can do with the modded camera. 

Good luck,

Dave.

Hi Dave,

Thanks a lot, really appreciate your kind words too I'm glad you've enjoyed my stuff :)

I did try Juan but sadly no response. I'll give him another go, maybe he missed it by accident. Hopefully I can get it modded before Orion hibernates again!

Maybe I'll bump into you on Anglesey then :D

And clear skies ;)
Alyn