Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

coatesg

Heart & Soul, Double Cluster in Widefield (85mm)

I took these images on Sat 25th Nov from here in W Oxfordshire. I've got the widefield setup running now using a RPi3 running KStars and Ekos. This controls a modded, uncooled 350d (with Baader filter) and a serial shutter cable, an Arduino motor focuser (as a Moonlite compatible focuser) and the Losmandy GM8 it all sits on.

Images were taken through a Canon 85mm f1.8 EF lens at f4.5, exposures were 45 x 300sec (3h45m total) at ISO400 through an IDAS P2 filter. The field is a whisker over 15x10 degrees. Processing was in PixInsight and a bit of work in Photoshop to reduce a bit of amp glow that didn't calibrate out fully.

Fairly pleased with this (though the Heart and Soul have come out maybe a little red - the colour calibration uses PI's PCC tool, and the IDAS filter might throw it a bit), but there's some other areas of interest coming through in the image. Annotated image attached but there are a few other bits that PI doesn't grab - there's a small area of reflection nebula (LBN 142.14+01.97) to the left of Sh2-202 that's just coming through. Also, unlabelled are Stock 2 (between the Heart and the Double Cluster) and for the interested clouded out astronomer, galaxies Maffei 1 and 2 are visible in frame just below the Heart (labelled as Sh2-191 and Sh2-197). 

Thanks for taking a look!

heart_soul_85mm_2048x1375.thumb.jpg.a6a45c0667c93615eb9a75fbf88767c3.jpg

heart_soul_85mm_annotated_2048x1377.thumb.jpg.31ef65f9d3a97c960004d8782261f7e3.jpg

Edited by coatesg
Slight tweak to bottom right of image...
  • Like 12

Just now, wxsatuser said:

Cannot see the images, only links.

Odd - I was making a correction to a typo - might have caught it in the middle of the edit? Looks OK to me?/

Very nice. Pleased to read what aperture you used on this lens as whilst it's a fast lens it loves a flush of CA, I've got it too but hadn't yet experimented to find the sweet spot.

Thanks all!

19 hours ago, happy-kat said:

Very nice. Pleased to read what aperture you used on this lens as whilst it's a fast lens it loves a flush of CA, I've got it too but hadn't yet experimented to find the sweet spot.

It is a fast lens, but the star quality in the corners wide open means it does need stopping down a bit - with this one, it seems to be about the right point to sharpen the stars up (at least on APS-C size sensors), though maybe could get away with f4 - I'll need to try. Certainly at f3.5, things start to get a seagull like at the corners...!

great work, for a 350D !!

is there an adapter for the IDAS P2 filter for canon lenses? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Daniel-K said:

great work, for a 350D !!

is there an adapter for the IDAS P2 filter for canon lenses? 

Cheers! I'd really like to get a more sensitive mono cam that will take Canon lenses and do this kind of work (my SBIG won't take them with the filter wheel in place...), but budget contraints are what they are!

The P2 filter here is one of the special low profile 37mm ones that sits in a holder and screws into the body. Image of it in place on FLO's website (this is the second version I think - mine actually has a screw that goes into the body of the camera): https://www.firstlightoptics.com/light-pollution-reduction-imaging/idas-mfa-filter-adapter-kit-for-canon-eos.html

Edited by coatesg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By coatesg
      Also known as h and χ Persei, the Double Cluster (comprising NGC 869 and NGC 884) is a "line of sight" pairing in the constellation in Perseus, though actually they are only a few hundred light years apart. The clusters have a combined visual magnitude of 3.7 and 3.8 and are visible to the naked eye as a fuzzy patch between Perseus and Cassiopeia.
      NGC 869 (top) has a mass of 3700 solar masses and NGC 884 weighs in at 2800 solar masses; the total mass for the complex is estimated in excess of 20,000 solar masses when including an extensive halo of stars. Based on their individual stars, the clusters are relatively young, both 12.8 million years old, with the hottest stars having spectral class B0; NGC884 also has 5 prominent red supergiants including variable RS Per (closest to the centre of the lower cluster). North is to the left in this view.
      Skywatcher Esprit ED80
      SBIG STF8300M + Baader filters
      MI-250 mount
      RGB (125m:115m:115m - all in 300s subs., with additional 25x15sec in each channel for bright star cores)
      Taken remotely from E-EYE in Spain:
      * Image capture: Graeme Coates & Paul Tribe
      * Processing: Graeme Coates
      Bonus points for spotting the small fuzz of a galaxy in the field 😉

• By kuvik
      Hello!

I'm from Hungary. This is my first post. I am glad to be here.
      Recently I'm trying to sketch some deep-sky objects. I've made this observation yesterday. Cygnus was near to the zenith and the sky was pretty dark.

NGC 7000 is one of my favourite target. I like to observe it with any telescopes, especially with RFTs and with UHC filter.
      Please excuse my language errors.

Gyuri
    • By Andywilliams
      Last week on august 5th we were treated to a coronal hole followed by some G1 auroral activity here in New Zealand.
      Unfortunately I live a bit too far north to capture the spectacular Auroral images.
      However, ever the optimist, I set my canon 6d with a Samyang 14mm lens up in my backyard and captured 300 or so shots (20 seconds at iso 3000) which I then sent through to lightroon timelapse.
      I'm quite pleased with the result. Definitely some colour there.

• By Panda Alvin
      Attention: The quality of this video here has been reduced due to file size restriction. A slightly better version can be found unlisted on YouTube (308mb).  

Description:
      A series of time-lapse short videos set in different locations within South Hampshre at night. All scenes were taken between a Bortle 4-5 area, and each clip equates to 5-6 hours in real time. Please check your volume as this video contains music.

Equipment / Software:
      Canon 550D
      Tokina AT-X 11mm - 20mm
      Vixen Polarie
      Adobe Lightroom
      Adobe Premier Pro

Special Thanks:
      Alexander Blu - Background Music

====================
      Note: My first time producing a proper time-lapse video. Unfortunately the amount of noise and hot pixels were much worser than expected when I reached the video editing stage, and I need to learn how to apply darks against individual frames en masse. I am not personally satisfied with the final quality, but still thought I should share with what I have on here.

Please feel free to leave a comment, critique, suggestions and guidance on here, thanks!
    • By eshy76
      Hi everyone!
      I was lucky enough to spend Easter in Mauritius and managed to get a night of imaging in despite the tropical night time clouds! As someone who lives in the Northern hemisphere, the Carina nebula has always been a target I've coveted, but during my holiday, I also loved Crux as prominent constellation in the Southern sky. So when I ran into polar alignment issues with my Skyguider Pro, I decided to play it safe and go for a wider field, capturing both those targets rather than focusing purely on Carina as was my original goal.
      This was shot from my father in law's rooftop in Bonne Terre, Vacoas, Mauritius and my basic polar alignment meant significant field rotation, but I still got some usable data. Cropped, processed and finally upsampled.
      Data was shot at f/2.8 with a 50mm lens, unguided on an unmodified Sony a6500. 174 lights at 30 secs each = 1.4 hours of integration. Bortle 5.
      From the colours it looks like these objects sit right on the disc of the Milky Way and I know there is more in the picture I haven't mentioned!
      Thanks for looking!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.