SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

I've jumped on the M31 band wagon :-)...

Vega

This was my second attempt at imaging with the Canon 70-300mm APO lens with CLS filter clip. First up, the CLS filter is excellent, making the LP much more manageable. I would never normally attempt M31 until later in the year due to my heavily light polluted Eastern sky.

I used my EQ3-2 mount which has some serious Periodic Error issues so please be gentle! I was disapointed with the maximum exposure length of 80sec that I was getting before obvious star trailing (considering I was only zoomed in at about 200mm). Due to my eagerness I think I overdid the stretching in levels a bit. I tried to counteract it with a hefty edge preserving smooth which made it look a bit too un-natural for my liking. Anyways, its a start

8685_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

I've already learnt some things about camera positioning and focusing with the lens. Now I hope to bag Andromeda properly by mounting it on the EQ6 with PEC correction turned on and zooming to maybe 300mm. Hopefully then I can upload something less ugly than the above :smiley:

Matt

Archived