Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_terminator_challenge_winners.thumb.jpg.6becf44442bc7105be59da91b2bee295.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
DeepSkyMan

Collimation Revelations

I recently posted about my first successful collimation experience (an SCT).  I'm sure we all have our stories, of those moments when we perceived optical clarity.  Come on everyone tell us of those collimation 'eureka' moments and your experience of your first observing session immediately following.

Paul.

Edited by DeepSkyMan

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By devdusty
      Further to my post about the Skywatcher flexible 130 p, I am now looking at a short focus tefractor. I am 70 years old so can only manage to carry a fairly lightweight telescope into my back garden.
      I am interested in viewing the moon, double stars,  bright planets and the brighter star clusters.
      I am looking to purchase one of the following
      Celestron  travel scope 70
      Bresse r Classic 70/350
      Skywatcher mercury 705 70mms.
      I understand that these telescopes have limitations, but they the only ones in my price range.
      Any comments or advice would be welcome.
      Chris P
    • By borapanda
      Hi everyone!
      I have a Celestron Astromaster 114 eq (114/1000mm), and I do use it whenever I can, but I'm still quite the newbie when it comes to observing.
      My point is, I'd like to observe the planets, but  I dont't think the standard eyepieces that came with my telescope (10 mm and 20 mm) are powerful enough for that. For reference, the "furthest" I could see were the rings of Saturn , but they were very small and faint too.  
      Are there any specific eyepieces you could recommend? :) And of course, any tipps and advice are also very much appreciated.
      Thanks, Sophie.
    • By Fraunhoffer
      lets imagine I wasn't to see a nice DSO about 15' size and I think it should look good nicely framed with a 1 deg field of view in the EP..
      Which would give the better (or higher probability of seeing anything at all ) view from a semi urban light polluted home site (e.g Bortle 6)?
      a) an 100mm f/6 refractor (fl 600mm) and a 10mm EP (60 deg afov, gain 60x = fov pf 1 deg)
      (and exit pupil of 100mm / 60 = 1.6mm)
      or
      b) a  200mm SCT with focal reducer to give f/6 (fl 1200mm) and a 20mm EP (60 deg afov, gain 60x = fov of 1 deg)
      (and exit pupil of 200 / 60 = 3.3mm)
      My gut feeling is that the SCT should give a better view just based upon its 2xaperture - but Im not sure I understand fully the maths why.
      Is the larger exit pupil going to result in a better / brighter / more successful view?
      Or will the view be 'roughly' the same ?
      Or have I got it all wrong.....

Thanks.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.