Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observing session with Skywatcher Heritage 130P

Mark at Beaufort

I had a very early meeting just outside Birmingham this morning so my observing was limited last night with the Moon still visible.

I have just acquired an Atlas of the Moon by Charles Wood (Lunar 100 fame) and Maurice Collins which gives much more detail than my atlas by Henry Hatfield. I set up the Heritage Newt on my SkyTee 2 mount and used my TeleVue 8-24 zoom and Baader 2.25X barlow giving me a maximum mag of 183X. Moving along the terminator starting at W.Bond, Barrow and Meton - I took in the following  - Alpine Valley, Aristoteles, Eudoxus, along the Caucasus Mountains (Hadley Rille still in shadow), Hipparchus, then the Rilles around Triesnecker. This little Newtonian really worked well but other than testing the scope on the Double Double I called it a night.

I left the scope out over night under a cover so I could have a quick observing session before setting off. It was really clear and transparent - no light pollution and still astronomically dark. I used only 2 EPs - ES68 24mm and ES82 11mm + an Astronomik O-III filter. First object was M35 then using the O-III looked at the Rosette Nebula. A nice glow surrounding the cluster NGC2244. Then viewed M44 and M67 before going over to Leo. Picked up the Leo Triplet including NGC 3628. Then NGC 2903 - should have been a Messier Object!!! Over to M51 and was able to see both parts. Finally as it was setting in the East I had a look at M1.

So this lovely little scope can produce the goods and putting it on a stable tripod makes it an ideal grab and go.

Clearly last night was a great night for observing and I was so pleased to read this afternoon that my good friends John and Paul73 both viewed the Horse Head last night. 

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice one Mark, a tidy little session with the 130P. They are impressive little scopes, I've enjoyed using mine on the AZGTi mount and a tripod, makes it a very useable setup.

I assume you managed the Double Double ok with it? Seems to be well within its capabilities.

Tonight under clear skies with VG seeing the Heritage 130mm was put out to cool and was collimated. The Double Double was at a nice viewing angle but not really where I like to observe, even so the Heritage split this object at 93x with a 7mm KK ortho and a 9mm Circle T got the easier of the pairs at 72x and with no shroud. The Nagler 3-6 zoom really opened up the split and is a great match for this scope.

The screw focuser loses its "slop" in the cold weather here and functions very well, I like these scopes...

5 hours ago, jetstream said:

. The Nagler 3-6 zoom really opened up the split and is a great match for this scope.

Thanks for your update Gerry. I did own the Nagler 3-6 zoom in the past and I did wonder how it might perform on the Heritage. I just love this scope as a grab and go and on Friday received an AZ5 mount head to use rather than my SkyTee 2/Berlebach setup.

I followed your lead Mark and just ordered a 24 ES 68 for the Heritage on sale for $119 USD !:hiding::icon_biggrin:

After the very successful night tonight with it I figured I'd spoil the gran daughter with one! ( I use it too lol!). Would you like to try the Heritage 130/Merope challenge? It shows the neb very well...

6 hours ago, jetstream said:

I followed your lead Mark and just ordered a 24 ES 68 for the Heritage on sale for $119 USD !:hiding::icon_biggrin:

After the very successful night tonight with it I figured I'd spoil the gran daughter with one! ( I use it too lol!). Would you like to try the Heritage 130/Merope challenge? It shows the neb very well...

Gerry the 24 ES68 is a very good EP and works very well on the Heritage. Yes I am up for the challenge - my location is expected to have a few clear nights tomorrow and Saturday. Next week my Astro Society has an outreach event at a very dark National Trust historic venue so I will take the Heritage with me. I will let you know how I get on.

6 hours ago, jetstream said:

The ES68 24mm works greats in my scope too which is similar to the Heritage :) 

Do you use a UHC/OIII filter on Merop?  

50 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

Neil the Merope Nebula is a Reflection Neb so you don't use UHC or O-III filters. Some observers recommend a light pollution filter to improve contrast - I note you have a Baader Neodymium filter so you could see if that improves things.

38 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Neil the Merope Nebula is a Reflection Neb so you don't use UHC or O-III filters. Some observers recommend a light pollution filter to improve contrast - I note you have a Baader Neodymium filter so you could see if that improves things.

Thanks Mark. I’ve tried many times to see the nebula without luck. I have been trying without filters so I had that much right. Will definitely give it a shot with my Neodymium filter next time :) From the reports I’ve read, it’s really tough to see this nebula!

2 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

I don't use a filter at all, including a Neo. This nebula needs transparent skies to really come out but it is visible under slightly hazy skies if you know what to look for. That curve in Mels sketch showing the Merope needs VG conditions. Look for a "fan" extending back,starting from Merope, it will be subtle and get lost in the "glow" under less than optimum conditions but is still visible. Also note shade differences in the cluster itself and the surrounding area- more and more will appear as you observe it often. I obs the object every time out now...

It is one of the most beautiful objects out there IMHO Neil.

9 minutes ago, jetstream said:

I don't use a filter at all, including a Neo. This nebula needs transparent skies to really come out but it is visible under slightly hazy skies if you know what to look for. That curve in Mels sketch showing the Merope needs VG conditions. Look for a "fan" extending back,starting from Merope, it will be subtle and get lost in the "glow" under less than optimum conditions but is still visible. Also note shade differences in the cluster itself and the surrounding area- more and more will appear as you observe it often. I obs the object every time out now...

It is one of the most beautiful objects out there IMHO Neil.

Thank you, Gerry. It’s one of the best even without seeing the nebula! I think I’ll follow your lead and view this each time I’m out to build the familiarity. Given time and the right conditions, I’m sure I’ll get it :) 

On 11/26/2017 at 10:44, Mark at Beaufort said:

So this lovely little scope can produce the goods and putting it on a stable tripod makes it an ideal grab and go.

Mark, I have a few more comments on the H130 but I don't want to hijack your thread! Permission to proceed? Your excellent report has opened the Heritage floodway lol!

5 hours ago, jetstream said:

Thanks Mark. I'm puzzled with the view of the Veil through this scope- its good with the NPB but not great- it should be better considering the views of the other nebs. How are other H130 owners seeing the Veil? what filter is used?eyepieces?

Hi Gerry. Whilst, I don’t have a Heritage 130, my scope is a 130mm SkyWatcher. The main difference is that is doesn’t have a parabolic primary mirror and the focal length is 900 rather than 650. I hope the details of what I use are still helpful. If you’d rather just hear from true H130 owners then just let me know :) 

For the Veil, I use the ES68 24mm with an Astronomik OIII. The views have been best under dark skies. I’ve not seen Pickering’s triangle but I’ve also not seen the Crescent nebula which gives an indication of how dark the skies were. The results I’ve had with Veil have varied wildly with conditions. 

6 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

Hi Gerry. Whilst, I don’t have a Heritage 130, my scope is a 130mm SkyWatcher. The main difference is that is doesn’t have a parabolic primary mirror and the focal length is 900 rather than 650. I hope the details of what I use are still helpful. If you’d rather just hear from true H130 owners then just let me know :) 

For the Veil, I use the ES68 24mm with an Astronomik OIII. The views have been best under dark skies. I’ve not seen Pickering’s triangle but I’ve also not seen the Crescent nebula which gives an indication of how dark the skies were. The results I’ve had with Veil have varied wildly with conditions. 

I like all thoughts on things Neil, yours are much appreciated.:thumbsup:

I can see parts of Pickerings Triangle with the NPB but there is more to gain here I think. One feature that is a bit underwhelming is the split in the broom- how well do you see the western Veil? Do you see structure in the eastern Veil?

1 hour ago, jetstream said:

I like all thoughts on things Neil, yours are much appreciated.:thumbsup:

I can see parts of Pickerings Triangle with the NPB but there is more to gain here I think. One feature that is a bit underwhelming is the split in the broom- how well do you see the western Veil? Do you see structure in the eastern Veil?

Thank you, Gerry :) 

When viewed from home the Western Veil just stops at Cyg 52. However, under darker skies I can follow past and see the split in the broom. It's certainly on the faint side though. Averted vision required to get the best out of this. The Eastern Veil is good from home and great under dark skies. The darker the skies, the more the Eastern Veil takes on a wispy appearance. Similar to you, I feel that there's more to be had from the Veil. I think I need to get under good dark skies in May or late August/early September to hit peak viewing time. 

In terms of eyepieces, I did experiment with a Celestron 32mm plossl vs the ES68 24mm. The larger exit pupil of the plossl definitely brightened the image and, as I'm using an OIII, the background wasn't brightened significantly. I tend to prefer the ES68 as it's a bit sharper and has more comfortable eye relief. I'm not a fan of the long eye relief on the plossl but that's a personal taste issue I think. It's also worth pointing out that the plossl is a relatively cheap eyepiece compared to the ES68. I wonder if one of the 32mm Televue plossls might make it closer run thing. I'm sure a TV plossl would be much sharper than the Celestron I'm using.

6 minutes ago, jetstream said:

I own the 32mm TV and 25mm TV plossls...same results. I'm thinking I need a tight OIII with good transmission, like yours. If you compare the scatter on the moon with your orthos vs the 24ES how much more does the ES have?

The ES68 needs the Neodymium filter to get the best results with the moon. The orthos do well without. There's a lot more fine detail visible once you add the filter to the ES68. I guess this would be, at least partly, down to less light and therefore less light scatter? What are tell tale signs you look for when identifying light scatter? I should have an opportunity to test on the moon tonight so can try and get you a better answer :) 

9 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

Hope you don't mind the question. Are we saying one is better than the other because of focal length ,or is the one better than the other due to a different primary ,parabolic. If you could explain which is better, and the reason behind this as a 130 v  130 . Does the little heritage give way to the the bigger brother when push comes to shove as it's compact size comes at a cost in performance?

Archived