sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_2.thumb.jpg.72789c04780d7659f5b63ea05534a956.jpg

First Light of the Veil Nebula!

I made it out to my dark site on Friday evening, a few high wispy clouds in the sky but for the most part it was quite nice out.  The moon was already low and near setting, and I had just received my new Astronomik OIII filter, so I decided to try and find a few objects that have given me fits from the get-go.  I started the night taking a long hard look at the double cluster, something I only recently discovered, and then swung the scope around to Albireo, another newer sight for me. 

After getting my eyes full of stars, I affixed the filter to my ES 30MM 82° eyepiece.  I swung the scope over to the Eastern Veil and WHOA!!!!!!  There it was, in all its glory.  A little too big to fit the whole thing in the EP at once, I kept swinging the scope back and forth over the length of the nebula, totally blown away with how clear it suddenly was.  I had been wanting to see this object from day 1, and have read about people's reactions when they first saw it.  I was no different.  I don't even know how long I spent swinging the scope back and forth, just taking it all in as if it would disappear at any second.  As my first light adrenaline calmed down, I swung the scope down and found the Western Veil as well, another stunning site with 52 Cyg bisecting it and lighting it up so brightly!  Just amazing! 

I never tired of looking at the veil, but eventually wanted to try to bag a couple more objects.  I panned all of the way around to the Rosette Nebula.  I found the telltale cluster that lies in the middle of the nebula, and was soon admiring the light ring of smoke surrounding the cluster.  With a little time and effort, I was able to tease out enough detail to really see what the Rosette was all about, and once again, I was not disappointed.  Next came the Helix Nebula, another object I've tried and failed to find in the past.  This night I was successful, though after seeing the prior 2 targets the Helix was more of just a passing find for the checklist.

I scoped out M42 with the OIII filter and was able to make out some details I hadn't previously seen.  Since I was already there, I switched to a smaller EP and got some magnification going so I could observe the trapezium, once again managing to see the "e" star but no "f".

I still missed some of the major objects on my list.  I have yet to see the Heart or Soul Nebulas and couldn't find them on this night.  I have yet to get any substantial views of the North America Nebula.  I missed the Witch Head and Cocoon as well.  

I took the filters off and surfed around the Universe bagging a few beautiful galaxies, including Stephan's Quintet and the Deerlick Cluster.  I scoped out NGC 777 in Triangulum, always a cool object to tease out of the dark skies.  I saw NGC 253, the Sculptor Galaxy, for my first time.  This is a cool target to which I need to return.   A few globulars and open clusters later, and I was getting chilly and ready to call it a night.

All in all I had a great session and managed first light on a few major targets I'd been hoping to see for a long time.  As always, there was plenty that I didn't get around to looking for, and more that I missed with an attempt, serving only to heighten my desire to find them on a future night.  I'm glad all you folks across the pond are getting some nice views, and it sounds like everyone but me was out looking at the Horsey.  Maybe I'll add that my my advanced list of future challenges.  Thanks for reading!

• Like 8

Great stuff Alex. The veil is a target to revisit for sure. It is great the first time! But keep going back to tease out more detail around the edges of the east west and in the area in between. The O3 pays you back on this target for sure.

Have a go at the North American nebula too next time you are in this area.

Alan

• Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, alanjgreen said:

Great stuff Alex. The veil is a target to revisit for sure. It is great the first time! But keep going back to tease out more detail around the edges of the east west and in the area in between. The O3 pays you back on this target for sure.

Have a go at the North American nebula too next time you are in this area.

Alan

I absolutely plan on returning to this area for lots more viewing.  I wasn't seeing a lot of detail on the nebula between the east and west, but I think this was in part due to my enthusiasm for having just found it all, and I wasn't taking my time the way I should to see the fainter stuff.  It's a beautiful sight!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By f33n3y
      Hi everyone,
      Here is the Eastern Veil Nebula (NGC 6992/5), part of a large supernova remnant found in the constellation of Cygnus. You are looking at the wispy leftovers of a star 20 times more massive than our sun which exploded some 8000 years ago.
      Equipment:
      - Sky-Watcher 200PDS telescope
      - HEQ5 Pro mount
      - ZWO ASI1600MM camera for capture
      - ZWO filter wheel, Ha and Oiii filters
      - ZWO 120MM camera for autoguiding
      - ZWO finder-guider guidescope
      - Artesky flats box
      Acquisition:
      - 6th September 2019 from my garden in Glasgow, Scotland.
      - 50x120sec with Ha filter, unity gain
      - 50x120sec with Oiii filter, unity gain
      - 20 flats each filter and 20 darks
      - Controlled using Sequence Generator Pro
      Processing:
      - Stacked in Deep Sky Stacker
      - PixInsight dynamic crop, dynamic background extraction, pixelmath (to produce bicolour HOO image), colour calibration, SCNR, histogram transformation, curved transformation, star mask and star reduction, TGV denoise
      - Final denoise with Topaz Denoise and some touch ups in Lightroom.
      Future improvements:
      - More time on the target (less clouds).
      - Addition of comma corrector to my imaging train.
      - Create mosaic of the wider Veil nebula area.
      - Improve PixInsight processing workflow.
      More shots:
      https://www.instagram.com/glasgowastro

• By steppenwolf
      Pickering’s Triangle (Seimis 3-188)
      It is a little early in the season to be imaging this object as it didn’t appear above my local horizon until 00:50 when I started the project earlier this month but with nights getting shorter as we approach the summer solstice, it made sense to make an early start even though it took several nights to capture the data while ducking and diving between the clouds and early morning mist!
      Discovery
      Pickering’s Triangle is part of the supernova remnant known as The Veil Nebula in Cygnus. The Veil Nebula itself was discovered by William Herschel in September, 1784 but this faint region was only later discovered photographically in 1904 by Williamina Fleming at the Harvard Observatory. The discovery was made post publication of the New General Catalogue (NGC) so it isn’t included in the catalogue. Although it wouldn’t happen today (I hope!), the custom of the time was to credit the discovery to the lead astronomer, in this case Edward Charles Pickering, the director of the observatory.

Image Stats

Mount: Mesu 200
      Telescope: Sky-Watcher Esprit 150
      Flattener: Sky-Watcher Esprit specific
      Camera: QSI 683 WSG-8
      Filter: Astrodon 3nm Ha and 3nm OIII
      Subframes: 6 x 1800 sec Ha, 13 x 1800 sec OIII
      Integration: 9.5 hours
      Control: CCD Commander
      Capture: MaxIm DL
      Calibration, Stacking and Deconvolution: PixInsight
      Post-Processing: PhotoShop PS3
      Description
      The nebula can be found in the north-west quadrant of the Veil Nebula near NGC 6974 and 79 (see whole Veil Nebula image below). Lying around 1,400 light years away, the beautiful filamentary elements are the expanding shock-wave from the progenitor star that went supernova here somewhere between 5,000 and 10,000 years ago.

Position within the Veil Nebula

Visually, the nebula responds well to the use of an OIII filter as the region is rich in OIII emissions as can be seen in the blue/green filaments in the above images.
      Photographically this is a wonderful object that responds well to both LRGB and narrowband imaging and the example shown here was captured using Ha and OIII filters. Although there are sulphur emissions (SII) in this region, this object responds well to my favourite imaging method of 'bi-colour’. This process uses just Ha and OIII filtration wherein the OIII data is mapped to both the ‘Green’ and ‘Blue’ channels and the Ha is mapped to the ‘Red’ channel. The greyscale  images below show the individual Ha (left) and OIII (right) images used to produce this image. As you can see from the 'Stats' above, I have a whole load more Ha to collect to complete the image!
      The individual Ha and OIII images

• By evansg
      The Veil Nebula is a diffuse nebula located in the northern constellation Cygnus, the Swan.
      Also known as Witch’s Broom Nebula, Bridal Veil Nebula, Cirrus Nebula, or Filamentary Nebula, it constitutes the visible parts of the Cygnus Loop, a supernova remnant in Cygnus. It is located at an approximate distance of 1,470 light years from Earth.
      In this wide shot you can see the three main parts: the Eastern Veil, the Western Veil, and Fleming’s Triangle (Pickering’s Triangle).
      Full resolution: http://www.celestialpixels.com/Nebulae/i-zcwHVLh/A

Telescope: Telescope: TAK FSQ85
      Camera: QSI 683
      Filters: RGB + Ha + O3
      Total Exposure: 12h

• By Davide Simonetti
      It's always fun to image a new target and it was worth using a rare trip to a place with much darker skies (Kelvedon Common in Essex) to try something a bit more challenging. This could have done with more exposure but nights are short at this time of year and dawn put a stop to the session. 
      29 x 120 second exposures at 400 ISO (58 minutes integration time).
      12 x dark frames
      79 x flat frames
      21 x bias/offset frames (subtracted from flat frames only)
      Captured with APT
      Guided with PHD2
      Processed in Nebulosity and Photoshop 
      Equipment:
      Sky-Watcher Explorer-150PDS
      Skywatcher EQ5 Mount
      Orion 50mm Mini Guide Scope
      ZWO ASI120 MC imaging and guiding camera
      Canon 700D DSLR

• By WaveSoarer
      What with holidays, poor weather and work commitments, it's been a little while since I've had the chance to do some observing. With the nights really starting to close in again the opportunities are starting to present themselves again. Last night was crystal clear and so I decided to get my SW 100p out and have a view of the veil nebula with my OIII filter. I had used the 100p to view sections of the veil with a 20 mm EP in combination with the OIII filter but last night I wanted to try my 32 mm EP to see how much I could fit in to the field of view. Sure enough, after setting up on the Western Veil (NGC 6960) I could see the wisps of the broomstick without too much difficulty. I then slewed across to The Eastern Veil (NGC6992) and its arc was very well defined and comparatively bright. A quick adjustment placed the full complex, East to West, in the field of view and even Pickering's Triangular Wisp was clearly visible. It was fairly mesmerising to see the span of the full nebula and, although it lacked the detail that I can extract with my 200p, the view with my 100p is very rewarding and the simplicity of the small dobs base making the scope almost effortless, and fast, to set up and use.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.