Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
alanjgreen

Incoming: APM 16x70 ED binos

I am taking my first tentative steps into binos for night sky viewing...

Having done some research over the past couple of weeks and nearly going for Helios Apollo 15x70, I came across the black Friday sale at APM and went for the 16x70 ED instead.

As a glasses wearer, the extra eye relief will be great. I had seen that others had upgraded from Apollo to APM ED and also with a better case for travel and £100 off decided to go for it...

i plan to buy a monopod and trigger grip and hope that the 0.5kg weight saving will add up to an easy to use pair of binos.

i will need to discover if my choice of binos that do not accept filters was a good one or I may need to knock up some way of holding/fixing filters at the eyepiece?

i will also be making up some dew shields for the cold nights. How long should I make the dew shields? 

I will be taking them to darkest Arizona next year for some Milky Way viewing at new moon so I have a few months to learn how best to use them :)

i will post some pics when they arrive from Germany...

Alan

Congrats on a fine purchase Alan, the APM ed is a superb instrument. As for the dew shield, approx 2-2 1/2 x the aperture should suffice so somewhere in the region of 140-170mm long. I have a single piece of foam wrapped around both barrels and it extends approx 160mm.

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Sky-searcher
      Before I purchase one, I’m wondering if anyone has a 50 or 60 mm RACI with illuminated eyepiece they would like to sell? Thanks Andy.
      By Guest
      Getting back into astronomy after many years.  Really tasted the thrill as a youngster: eg
      Jupiter Saturn conj of 1981 viewed through a 4" refractor
      Splitting the double on the 'tip of the sword' of Cygnus - which as I recall were red and green.
      Naked eye all night sessions in Spain and New Zealand.
      For the last couple of weeks I have been getting off to dark skies a few miles from where I live and using 8x32's and I have just bought some used Celestron (Echelon) 16x70's which came a couple of days ago - since which time, in accordance with the Laws of Physics, the skies have been cloudy!
      I am probably going to get an Orion parallelogram tripod, but there are long waiting times - in the meantime would love to know of any advice people may have on monopods / heads and a mount that will fix to the Echelons.

• By MartinS
      Hi
      I am looking for an Evostar 80ED DS Pro telescope must be in good condition. I am based in York willing to collect within 40 Miles. 
      Thank you

Martin
    • By alanjgreen
      Date: 8 Jan 2018             Binos: APM 16x70 ED (Monopod)        Filters: 1x Castell UHC
      Last night saw another lovely black sky but the "Helm wind" had kicked up from the Pennines
      After popping out and back in from 7-30 thru 10-30, I decided that the Dob would not be coming out or more accurately the shed roof would not be opened tonight
      Not wanting to waste the sky and with my new binos ready and waiting inside, I switched plan and got myself (& the binos) ready.
      I fitted my new 1.25" Castell UHC filter inside the left eyecup. I added my 2x camping mat dew shields, fitted the monopod & trigger and finally stuck my ipad into into waterproof case.
      I got all my warm gear on and took everything outside onto the garden table.
      My plan was to use Sky Safari on the ipad (I had added new "equipment" to cover the binos so it was displaying a target circle to the FOV of the binos) and setup on Orion...

Targets
      M42 - showed as a nice bright cloud, I seemed "bigger" than last time out. I tried switching from one eye to the other to see the UHC difference but I did not find it easy to tell (I was wearing "old" contact lenses as an alternative to my glasses and my eyes have changed in the last 18 months to make close up reading easier without my glasses so this ruined the test). Individual eyepiece focusing definately helps.
      Rosette - found easily. I recognized the star cluster in the centre as I had spend a long time on this target with the dob the previous night The nebula was faint but visible, it really is a good size!
      Cone - onto the christmas tree cluster (easy) but no nebula was seen.
      Seagull neb - I found a definite patch in the right area. Can you see the seagull neb in your binos?
      M46, 47 - two nice clusters left of sirius.
      M48 - another good one
      M67 - easy and bright
      Beehive - A biggie, stay a while to count the stars...
      Scanning Leo, there seems to be either regular fuzzies or the fainter stars are appearing as fuzzies. Should I expect to be able to see faint messier galaxies in Leo with binos?
      Pleiades - Lovely and bright. Getting higher for my neck!
      Crab M1 - Got it. I failed on this last time out. But bagged it twice tonight. Was it the UHC or just better control of the monopod?
      California neb = no. nothing.
      M37,38,36 - trio of clusters. nice as they are all different. There was more stuff in this area (I forgot about the flaming star), need to come back but my neck...
      M31, 110 & 32 - Onto Andromeda, easy. Big but not as nice as last time out. M110 was much fainter tonight and M32 took some staring to get it.
      Into Cassiopia ...
      Double cluster - lovely. shame its so high. There was plenty going on in the vacinity too. Something nice to the lower right? Just "too many things to identify" and my neck...
      Carolines Rose - Center on CapH and there's Carolines rose in the fov.
      Onto the Plough...
      M51 - easy
      M101 - harder to locate but I found it. Dimmer than M51
      Owl neb - Faint but there. Is this the UHC benefit or is it always seen in binos?

Overall an enjoyable session. A few misses on my part but you can't get everything unless you make a list before you go out!
      Quite a few questions above. Would be grateful if anyone can comment on some of them

Clear skies,
      Alan

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.