SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Incoming: APM 16x70 ED binos

alanjgreen

I am taking my first tentative steps into binos for night sky viewing...

Having done some research over the past couple of weeks and nearly going for Helios Apollo 15x70, I came across the black Friday sale at APM and went for the 16x70 ED instead.

As a glasses wearer, the extra eye relief will be great. I had seen that others had upgraded from Apollo to APM ED and also with a better case for travel and £100 off decided to go for it...

i plan to buy a monopod and trigger grip and hope that the 0.5kg weight saving will add up to an easy to use pair of binos.

i will need to discover if my choice of binos that do not accept filters was a good one or I may need to knock up some way of holding/fixing filters at the eyepiece?

i will also be making up some dew shields for the cold nights. How long should I make the dew shields? 

I will be taking them to darkest Arizona next year for some Milky Way viewing at new moon so I have a few months to learn how best to use them :)

i will post some pics when they arrive from Germany...

Alan

Congrats on a fine purchase Alan, the APM ed is a superb instrument. As for the dew shield, approx 2-2 1/2 x the aperture should suffice so somewhere in the region of 140-170mm long. I have a single piece of foam wrapped around both barrels and it extends approx 160mm.

Archived