Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Sp@ce_d

Think it's been a while! NGC7635 Ha (12.5hrs WIP)

Well, I can't remember the last time I actually posted an image. Not this year & I don't remember anything of last year either! Whilst I've been collecting data over that period, I realise I get more of a kick out of the whole techy side of putting the bits together, automating it all & capturing the data. When it comes to processing I never seem to have the time & patience & just end up frustrating myself overcooking things when I do.

I thought it about time to have another go & soon realised anything I actually had once known was long forgotten. So, I've been reading through Warren Keller's Inside PixInsight & thought I'd practice on some 12.5 hrs of data on NGC7635 collected over the 5th - 10th of this month. As I'm about to post this I can already see quite a few things need sorting out in the next version & I think I need to go back & start again but hey ho, I'll post it anyway otherwise it'll be next year before I know it! I've also got 14.5 hrs of SII & over 15 hrs of OIII plus a couple of hours or so each of RGB for the stars. I've thrown more away! So you can imagine, I've no idea when I'll get around to the full image! Tips & critique welcome as usual please...

Scope: RC8 with AP 0.67 reducer

Camera: Atik 314L+

Filter: Astrodon 5nm Ha

Subs: 50 x 900

Processed in PixInsight

NGC7635 The Bubble Nebula by Sp@ce_d

• Like 5

Excellent bubble... That is a long amount of time spent on the data... I'd love to see it all combined into color.

1 hour ago, MarsG76 said:

Excellent bubble... That is a long amount of time spent on the data... I'd love to see it all combined into color.

Cheers... the best thing I did, automating the obsy. I was gobsmacked when I added up the time too. It just shows how often there’s a gap in the clouds & it springs into life while I’m tucked up in the warm. If I relied on the weather forecast I’d have had nothing. The thrill is in the chase! ... as they say ?

2 hours ago, Sp@ce_d said:

Cheers... the best thing I did, automating the obsy. I was gobsmacked when I added up the time too. It just shows how often there’s a gap in the clouds & it springs into life while I’m tucked up in the warm. If I relied on the weather forecast I’d have had nothing. The thrill is in the chase! ... as they say ?

I hear you... ever since I've built my obsy I could get exposing subs more often, longer subs, and even do it after a late finish at work when it's clear since it's setup.

as far as stopping exposure when clouds cover the object, that's only controlled by APT, or was until I destroyed the USB port on my modded 40D by a cable snag!!! But I tend to expose when it's clear.

i too just set it and went to sleep, surprisingly all subs are usable...

next part for the obsy is rain detect and get it to roll itself shut to protect the gear.