SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Shed --> Flip top Obs (FAILED) --> Rolling Roof Obs

Adaaam75

Hi guys,

I thought it was about time I posted the progress of my shed conversion observatory. I've decided to post my observatory project from the start to where I am now including the failed flip lid design and it has been an unsurprisingly long road with what feels like some wasted spends on the flip top design but I am almost there.

I was lucky enough to have two good sized sheds in our garden and as we only needed one my wife had already conceded the second as my future observatory. The foundations are good as is the quality of the build with thick solid T&G panels and handy double doors. I am also blessed with a 360 degree view of the night sky with only the first 5 degrees of the horizon blocked by my bungalow and a few trees in the distance.

The flip top design would work as demonstrated by other members had I chosen to use a material other than wood for the roof (or rebuilt the roof with a lighter wood construction) however I wanted to maintain the natural look in my garden and chose wood with felt. The overall design was great, water tight and mechanically sound however to lift each half of the roof took some effort due to the weight (50-60kgs) and when it swung past the 90 degree angle the chains were under too much stress to “catch it” going the other way. The same principle applied when I was closing it again. There were work arounds but I decided to go back to the drawing board and chose the popular rolling roof design. Here are the flip lid shots I took including the 8 firedoor hinges used and the water tight overlap for the roof split.

Flip Lid 1.jpg

Flip Lid 3.jpg

Flip Lid 4.jpg

Flip Lid 8.jpg

Flip Lid 13.jpg

I then cracked on with the rolling roof rebuilding the roof from scratch. The hardest part was aligning the wheels in the runners, I'm not a mechanical engineer! The roof weighs approx 100 kgs but is designed to not bow and only took two of us to lift t up. The wheels are nylon castors that roll along on metal troughs the entire length of the runners, with a slight decline to allow water to roll out the ends when it rains. The back of the roof has marine material that drops down to protect the gap and simply flaps up over the top when I roll the roof off.

20170914_121535.jpg

20170914_191025.jpg

20170915_165149.jpg

20171025_152203.jpg

20171025_152246.jpg

20171025_153155.jpg

20171025_153924.jpg

Your not the only one to have a false dawn on a flip top roof, I for one got to the advanced prototype stage before I realized it was just not a practical design and changed path to a role off roof. I was surprised as my obsy really is compact so I thought it would not be a big problem and wanted to save on garden space. 

Archived