Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

  • Announcements

    sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_rgb.jpg.9467c4d39b22ba8239e1b5ad252fcee2.jpg

Moonshane

Moons of Neptune and Uranus

Recommended Posts

Moonshane    10,306

I have never seen these and have looked at the interactive tools on the sky and telescope site but does anyone have any idea what sort of scale the tools show either in true field or approximate magnification ?

Cheers

Shane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John    18,080

I'm currently observing Uranus with my 12" F/5.3 dob. I can get Titania (m 13.9) and Oberon (m 14.1) positioned about 30 arc seconds S of the planetary disk. Can't quite see Ariel (m 14.4) but that is around 15 arc seconds from Uranus so the glare plus the lower mag are working against me. I'm using the 4mm setting of the Nagler 2-4mm zoom for 398x. Uranian disk is surprisingly crisply defined as a pale blue / green but no markings showing as yet.

Mag figures are from Cartes du Ciel. Positions of moons were checked after locations identified at the eyepiece. 

The Cartes du Ciel view (newtonian) is shown below:

uran2511172048.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John    18,080

Additional note:

Titania is the 1st moon that I see as my eye dark adapts. I have to work harder to get Oberon and it needs more averted vision. Once my eye is dark adapted (15-29 mins at the eyepiece) Titania can be held in direct vision for a few seconds at a time while Oberon remains more elusive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moonshane    10,306

cheers John

That might help. I'll see if I can get anything next time out.

Incidentally, has anyone ever told you that you look a bit like Daryl from the Walking Dead? You could be his older brother :icon_biggrin:

landscape-1453901767-tv-the-walking-dead-s06e09-still-05.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bish    634
56 minutes ago, John said:

I'm currently observing Uranus with my 12" F/5.3 dob. I can get Titania (m 13.9) and Oberon (m 14.1) positioned about 30 arc seconds S of the planetary disk. Can't quite see Ariel (m 14.4) but that is around 15 arc seconds from Uranus so the glare plus the lower mag are working against me. I'm using the 4mm setting of the Nagler 2-4mm zoom for 398x. Uranian disk is surprisingly crisply defined as a pale blue / green but no markings showing as yet.

Mag figures are from Cartes du Ciel. Positions of moons were checked after locations identified at the eyepiece. 

The Cartes du Ciel view (newtonian) is shown below:

uran2511172048.jpg

Nice work John. I don't think my 250px will stretch to that with all the light pollution.  I'll have to try from a dark site.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John    18,080
56 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

cheers John

That might help. I'll see if I can get anything next time out.

Incidentally, has anyone ever told you that you look a bit like Daryl from the Walking Dead? You could be his older brother :icon_biggrin:

landscape-1453901767-tv-the-walking-dead-s06e09-still-05.jpg

Hmmm - nobody has told me that. It's not the look that I was going for ........ :rolleyes2:

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moonshane    10,306

He's a heart throb John so take it as a compliment! 😃

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alan White    1,169
On 11/25/2017 at 22:50, John said:

Hmmm - nobody has told me that. It's not the look that I was going for ........ :rolleyes2:

 

I thought it was more a Colonel Sanders look myself.

170px-KFC_logo.svg.png

....... :hiding:

Edited by Alan White

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stu    15,211

This is what SkySafari has to say. The circle is using the 4mm setting on a Nag Zoom in your 16". x400 and a 0.12 degree fov.

IMG_4878.PNG

IMG_4879.PNG

IMG_4883.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John    18,080

I use Cartes du Ciel to check the positions but only after I've had a go at observing them and noting suspects that I see.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Luna-tic    191
On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 16:51, Moonshane said:

cheers John

That might help. I'll see if I can get anything next time out.

Incidentally, has anyone ever told you that you look a bit like Daryl from the Walking Dead? You could be his older brother :icon_biggrin:

landscape-1453901767-tv-the-walking-dead-s06e09-still-05.jpg

That guy looks more like Patrick Swayze after a week-long bender.

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 17:50, John said:

Hmmm - nobody has told me that. It's not the look that I was going for ........ :rolleyes2:

 

Don't worry, you didn't make it  :icon_biggrin:. You're a lot closer to Burl Ives, I think; must be the hat.

Interesting about Uranus. I saw it for the first time a few nights ago in my Edge HD800. I didn't have it cranked up too much, I tried visual at around 200X and clearly saw the planetary disc, but no satellites. I took a photo at prime, and of course just got a dim, aqua dot. I get a fair amount of sky glow to the south and east from the nearby town, which explains the background color (I managed to edit some of it).  What's the minimum magnification needed to see any of the moons?

DSC_0929.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John    18,080

You can see the disk of Uranus at quite low magnifications with relatively small scopes but to get the moons I find that I need much higher magnifications eg: 300x plus and, so far, I've only managed to catch them with my 12" scope.

They are very faint - mag 13.9 is the brightest of them. On the limit from my back yard really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moonshane    10,306

cheers all

especially Stu - thanks for the visuals as they give me a better idea of the sort of scale I'll be looking for.

I'll have a look next time out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chiltonstar    1,473

Back in April this year, I had a number of really good sessions on Uranus using my 180 Mak at x270, using a 10mm Baader Ortho. Definitely 4 moons on one occasion, 3 on most occasions. I imaged it a couple of times as well, eg:-

Chris

 

uranusnewstack2.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chiltonstar    1,473
1 hour ago, Grotemobile said:

That is a very good image Chris.

....Thank you,  but not compared with those from the experts like Astrovani with more aperture, skill and better seeing!

Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Grotemobile    898

I think more aperture is the curse of this hobby. Always want a bigger one Chris .:D  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
niallk    1,581

I found 330x with my 15" good to catch 4 moons of Uranus.  The dimmest moon  I could pick out was fleeting in averted vision, but confirmed afterwards consulting Sky Safari.  They were all teeny tiny pin pricks of light, and Uranus was a gorgeously sharp small disc.

Triton by comparison was readily visible!

Edited by niallk
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John    18,080

Teeny tiny pin pricks but fascinating to see them visually all the same. Triton is the most distant rocky / icy body that I can observe - until I can get Pluto of course ! :icon_biggrin:

Voyager 2 got some great shots of Triton in 1989:

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dave In Vermont    4,896

Stellarium's team of engineers has been quite busy. The developers' have been adding lots of details to our solar-systems' planets, asteroids, moons, etc. They've added names of formations on the planets & moons, even on Ceres and Titan. Just about anywhere probes went with hi-resolution cameras.

They're also updating the Moons of the outer planets, including Neptune -

 

stellarium-856.thumb.png.42255010aaa2ab173a2598e89e04672f.png

 

This came with a recent 0.90.0 'beta.'

Hope you enjoy it!

Dave

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paul73    2,562

I can get a couple of the moons without too much bother in a 10” dob from the back garden. I should try with the bigger scope.

Sky Safari pro seems good on moon positions. Have you got the GasGiants App? That is free and does the same job.

Paul

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John    18,080
1 hour ago, Paul73 said:

I can get a couple of the moons without too much bother in a 10” dob from the back garden. I should try with the bigger scope.

Sky Safari pro seems good on moon positions. Have you got the GasGiants App? That is free and does the same job.

Paul

Thanks for the suggestion of the app Paul - I'll give it a try :thumbright:

Your seeing / eyes much be better than mine at home  - the Uranian moons are really pretty tough even with my 12" from my back yard.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stu    15,211
On 04/12/2017 at 12:29, Moonshane said:

cheers all

especially Stu - thanks for the visuals as they give me a better idea of the sort of scale I'll be looking for.

I'll have a look next time out.

Good stuff Shane, I thought the scale in the eyepiece fov might be useful. SS is great for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paul73    2,562
40 minutes ago, John said:

Your seeing / eyes much be better than mine at home  - the Uranian moons are really pretty tough even with my 12" from my back yard.

 

Nothing wrong with your eyes John. HH from your garden!!

I remember a couple being easy. And a third being an averted imagination target. I’ll dig out the observing report.

Paul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×