Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_supernovae_remnants_winners.thumb.jpg.a13d54fa405efa94ed30e7abd590ee55.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
abberation

Štefánik's Observatory - Prague

Just returned from a short break in Prague. We visited the observatory which is open most nights for a couple of hours. It can be reached various ways but the most spectacular is via a funicular railway. As we approached the observatory a shooting star passed overhead, quite stunning. There are 3 domes, 2 of which are open to the public. In the first dome I was able to observe a double star, but with the language differences I wasn't really sure what I was looking at. However from the central dome, it was initially aligned to "epsilon lyra", initially observing it as a double star then at higher magnification the double double and fifth element. If any one ever visits Prague then this is a must. There are some fantastic displays including meteorites, including a sample of one brought back from the moon. The evenings are run by a mix of local amateurs and students from  Charles University. It has certainly given me a good introduction to double stars.

• Like 1

Hi Ab

We have visited the observatory but during the day. Nice H alpha views of the Sun were available. An excellent place to visit. Glad you enjoyed your time there - we certainly did.:icon_biggrin:

• Like 1