Narrowband

Štefánik's Observatory - Prague

abberation

Just returned from a short break in Prague. We visited the observatory which is open most nights for a couple of hours. It can be reached various ways but the most spectacular is via a funicular railway. As we approached the observatory a shooting star passed overhead, quite stunning. There are 3 domes, 2 of which are open to the public. In the first dome I was able to observe a double star, but with the language differences I wasn't really sure what I was looking at. However from the central dome, it was initially aligned to "epsilon lyra", initially observing it as a double star then at higher magnification the double double and fifth element. If any one ever visits Prague then this is a must. There are some fantastic displays including meteorites, including a sample of one brought back from the moon. The evenings are run by a mix of local amateurs and students from  Charles University. It has certainly given me a good introduction to double stars.

Archived