Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show us your............ astronomy books

Moonshane

Interesting set of books (I thought Big Bang by Simon Singh was a good read). Here are mine. I regret throwing out a load of my old books acquired as a youngster in the 70's and 80's. They were old books printed in the 60's and would be interesting to look back on now.

IMG_4318b.jpg

• Like 9

On 23/11/2017 at 22:09, Moonshane said:

Interested to see what books people have just out of nosiness but also for future purchase ideas. Here's a few of mine.

This could take awhile.  Ok, I'll start with my oldest book, which has moon & planitary charts....... "Astro-Theology A Survey Of The Heavens - 1715 

PICT0001 (Small).JPG

PICT0002 (Small).JPG

PICT0003 (Small).JPG

PICT0004 (Small).JPG

PICT0005 (Small).JPG

• Like 10

Mr. Olcott's Books. 

A bit of trivia....... I found the Field Book of the Skies in an unrelated section of a used book shop. When I began reading it the following evening, I noticed that the previous owner had inscribed his name and a date. It brought a smile to my face, and I did something I normally don't do; I inscribed my name and date just under his, and this was because I came into possession of the book exactly 76 years to the day after the former owner signed it.  :smiley:

PICT0001 (Medium).JPG

• Like 4

Splendour of the Heavens - A magnificent work to say the least, comprising nearly one thousand pages by many contributors, with illustrations on just about every page. A fabulous book to enjoy. It was printed in both single and two volume sets.

PICT0002 (Medium).JPG

PICT0003 (Medium).JPG

PICT0004 (Medium).JPG

• Like 7

• 4 years later...
On 30/11/2017 at 21:08, L8-Nite said:

Splendour of the Heavens - A magnificent work to say the least, comprising nearly one thousand pages by many contributors, with illustrations on just about every page. A fabulous book to enjoy. It was printed in both single and two volume sets.

PICT0002 (Medium).JPG

PICT0003 (Medium).JPG

PICT0004 (Medium).JPG

Thanks for the recommendation Mike. Have just found a copy of the two volume edition. Fascinating to see how things have changed in the century since its printing.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

@L8-Nite I have a slightly older edition of Story of the Heavens, by Sir R S Ball. It is not as attractively bound as yours, but is from 1890. I'm currently reading it from cover to cover. It is remarkable how advanced the Victorians were in some aspects of their understanding of the universe. Right now, I am reading how they used deviations in the orbit of Mars to weigh the Sun and Earth.

Story_of_the_Heavens.JPG

M42_Story_of_the_Heavens.JPG

Inside_Cover.jpg

Edited by Mandy D
Added image
  • Like 7

11 hours ago, Mandy D said:

@L8-Nite I have a slightly older edition of Story of the Heavens, by Sir R S Ball. It is not as attractively bound as yours, but is from 1890. I'm currently reading it from cover to cover. It is remarkable how advanced the Victorians were in some aspects of their understanding of the universe. Right now, I am reading how they used deviations in the orbit of Mars to weigh the Sun and Earth.

Story_of_the_Heavens.JPG

M42_Story_of_the_Heavens.JPG

Inside_Cover.jpg

Hi Mandy,

There is something special in immersing ones self into vintage books. They are wonderful and have have a life of their own, and unlike modern literature, draw you in to where you feel like you are there, in that era of time.  :smiley:

• Like 3

Here's what I currently have in my living room. It doesn't include outdated books I have in storage (which some of these will be joining soon) ,or my astro magazines, or my charts/planisphere book in my EP case. I did throw in a couple log books. Yeah, I admit it, I like the Dummies and Idiot's Guide books. 😁

Rob

20221101_213016.jpg

20221101_213054.jpg

20221101_213103.jpg

Edited by Kn4fty
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, L8-Nite said:

Hi Mandy,

There is something special in immersing ones self into vintage books. They are wonderful and have have a life of their own, and unlike modern literature, draw you in to where you feel like you are there, in that era of time.  :smiley:

It is very much more about the story telling. The big thing I like is the lack of typographical errors. You'd think, with computers and spell-checking, that it would not happen today, but you just cannot beat an experienced and skilled proof-reader, which was my grandmother's occupation.

• Like 1