Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show us your............ astronomy books

Moonshane

In no particular order, this is my collection, although there is one missing, but the title escapes me just now, although its a popular recommend ?

IMG_2513.JPG

Edited by Charic
......three books added to photo....
  • Like 10

17 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

Here's a widefield view of my bookshelves 

........looking at your collection, it appears I have more?..............back in a mo!

Yep three more added to the image?

Edited by Charic

Not going up to my obsy to get pics, but I have the Guide to astronomical wonders, a couple of volumes by SPM, Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas, and Star Testing Astronomical Telescopes by Richard Suiter (2nd edition). Also New Perspectives on Newtonian Collimation.

I'm after a copy of Kriege & Berry's book for when I begin construction of a 12" dob.

• Like 2

Prior to 2003 I had over 100 astronomy books but donated them all to the local library when we moved house and my interest was on the back burner.

I only kept two that I can find (three if you include the observing log I kept as a boy), Moon, Mars and Venus (Anton Rukle??) which was a collector's item even then and Sky Atlas 2000 (Tirion). I really should have kept my hardback copy of Cosmos (Sagan) amongst others...Burnham's Celestial Handbook  (3 vols) .. Star and Planets Spotting (Peter Lancaster Brown) which still had my 1970's pencil marked planet positions for Mars, Jupiter and Saturn on the star charts... :(

I wonder where they are now.

Edited by Paul M
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, PhotoGav said:

Here’s a small selection of some of my favourite books

Wow! another memory jogger, may even have the Observers book of Astronomy somewhere, it looks similar, but boxes and boxes  need to removed to find that one!
I wonder how much difference there is in the reported information within the older books, from that of today, especially with the advent of newer technology. For example, how much has the Moon changed from the late 60's to the present day?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, clarkpm4242 said:

Three volumes of Night Sky Observers Guide, Celestial Sampler, Deep Sky Wonders (classic), Interstellarium...remainder is via t'Internet.   Wish I had Burnham's!

Paul

I went online got them from America had wait a few weeks cost me £12 just over with postage. 

• Like 1

Burnham's are a rare delight. It's many years since I looked through them but I suspect that as an observer's guide they are timeless. They look impressive on any bookshelf too!!

Some books I've felt honoured to just hold and thumb through. Burnham's and Cosmos are among them.

Others have blown me away. I've maybe mentioned before, a book by Hoimar Von Ditfurth; "Children of The Universe". Perhaps it won't stand up to modern science so well but back in the day it struck me with cosmic awe. 

• Like 3

From here I can see:

The Cambridge Photographic Atlas of the Planets (amazing how much more we now know of the outer planets and how little more we know of Mercury and Venus.)

Pathways to the Universe  - Francis Graham Smith and Bernard Lovell; excellent historical overview.

Observing the moon Througgh Binoculars - Cherington (publish just before the first moon landing and has some nice, educated, speculation in it)

The Discovery of Our Galaxy - Charles Whitney (Wonderful portraits of the great astronomers framed against the gradual unravelling of the scale of the universe with candid accounts of how nice (the Herschels) and how bitchy the world of 20th century astronomy could get (Curtis vs. Shapely, Hubble's ego).

You Are Here - Chris Hadfield (an ISS holiday snap collection).

The Observer's Year - Patrick Moore

Oh and a copy of MEPC :laugh2:

Several others in other rooms. I think The Look It Up Book of Stars and Planets is at my Dad's house, from the days of my initial interest as a boy in the 70s.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

Yes indeed buddy. They are fab.

They are very good you did say you would look for them I have one 1-5 I did have number 6 which is anonymous galaxies but you need a 16" or bigger to see them so I sent that to Damian.

• Like 1