polar alignment with horse shoe mount

i have little problem with polar alignment. i have set to where i look in the eyepiece i see polaris for rough alingment. it as been cloudy at night for months. so i check the alignment with the sun. i tried to track the sun across sky. the drifted out of field view in couple ours. well it close i would like better to do astro photography. i could realign for better preformerance

Is there any chance you could give a little more information on what type of mount/telescope you are using, 

a little worried when you say, 

13 minutes ago, larrym1972 said:

i have set to where i look in the eyepiece

(hoping you mean polar scope)

and even more so when you said,

13 minutes ago, larrym1972 said:

so i check the alignment with the sun. i tried to track the sun across sky

please tell me you are using solar filter/or taking other precautions when you are doing this as this could be very dangerous for you eyes :eek:

I don't see any issue with tracking the sun to do a polar alignment. Not as sensitive as you might want though. Try using Venus if you can find it in the daytime. 

If you are driven and have a camera, meta guide or sharp cap have alignment routines to help.

Title amended to avoid confusion :) 

Mount looks great, perhaps describing exactly how you try to align it and what problems you face would help with better answers.

Some clear sky would also help :( 

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

this i s how i did my alignment so far. i set angle of 39.7 degrees i got this angle from my latitude. i pointed the scope at polaris and in the field of view for a rough alignment. when i track the moon or the sun across the sky objects drift out of  field of view  in about 45 mins. i over something i dont know what it is

It could be a number of things.

1. The accuracy of your construction.
  2. The mount not being level.
  3. How accurate your polar alignment is. It is the mount that needs to be aligned not the telescope.
  4. In the other thread the photographs show the telescope mounted above the RA axis. This may or may not affect the tracking accuracy.

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 05:20, larrym1972 said:

when i track the moon or the sun across the sky objects drift out of  field of view  in about 45 mins. i over something i dont know what it is

They would, as these objects do not move at the sidereal rate.

Archived