SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Another Disappointment.

Astro Imp

It's been really windy but bright all day but as the darkness came the wind dropped and there was a beautiful crescent moon showing.

Couldn't miss the opportunity for an evening under a decent sky. Dragged all the gear out did a two star align and went in for dinner about 6.00ish. 

Came out an hour later and there wasn't a star to be seen, no moon, nothing.

The real disappointment was that for a change I'd taken the trouble to prepare a rough observing list.

Oh well there'll be a another time, won't there?

That's a shame, and of course there will be other clear nights very soon :)

I did a little solar observing today then also caught the crescent moon in the binoviewers at lowish power, looked very nice considering it was quite hazy.

Same in Cambridge, looked clear around 18:00, by 19:30 good amount of cloud and that sort of half disappeared but there seemed to be sort of high uniform blanket above the usual lower level cumulus culprits.

33 minutes ago, Astro Imp said:

Oh well there'll be a another time, won't there?

Not sure. :clouds1::clouds1::clouds1:

23 minutes ago, Stu said:

That's a shame, and of course there will be other clear nights very soon :)

I did a little solar observing today then also caught the crescent moon in the binoviewers at lowish power, looked very nice considering it was quite hazy.

Stu, I like your optimism. In my mind that is a prerequisite to being an amateur astronomer. Even when it looks like it may be guff, keeping hoping, as it may well clear.

Best not to put too much faith in those soothsayers (weather Apps / persons)

@Astro Imp keep the faith, it may still clear up ?

Alan, I probably drove past you on the way home from work looking at a clear sky, like you I got home and dragged the scope out. Made a cuppa got my other bits ready then went out to set everything up, looking up after a few choice words put everything away again. Only good thing is got all the bits I've been collecting and put together a dew controller same as this :hello2: next will be dew strips.

48 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said: c   

So back indoors for a drop of Merlot.

Doug.

That's the way to do it

If you can't reach the universe, then drown your sorrows with wine. Maybe we should all come round to yours and drown our sorrows with a star party. But without the stars?  

11 hours ago, Timebandit said:

That's the way to do it

If you can't reach the universe, then drown your sorrows with wine. Maybe we should all come round to yours and drown our sorrows with a star party. But without the stars?  

Hoping to increase the stargazing-to-wine ratio.  Maybe if we arranged a "tasting session" that would guarantee a clear night!!

Doug.

I have a sneaky feeling that we enjoy the clear nights all the more for their rarity. On Wednesday I carried all the stuff for the short walk only to drink tea and watch the descending mist. It's better that way than looking at endless 100 percent cloud predictions on clearoutside.

Hope it stays clear for you. I've had a bit of a session on the moon already. Some hazy cloud was coming over just now but will pop out later after tea and see what I can see :)

Posted this elsewhere, but here is my iPhone Moon pic :) 

IMG_4780.JPG

If we were all anglers, we would be holding forth on the one that got away.

I  zeroed in on M1 last night, seeing was perfect, no turbulence and had it at x400. But for the total cloud cover,  it was one of the best sessions I’ve ever had. 

John

Archived