Baader Eudiascopic

I love my 35mm Eudiascopic. It delivers the widest true field that a 1.25" eyepiece can deliver and is very comfortable to use, along with great eye relief. Obviously at 35mm fl it is low power but the star fields through the milkyway are like diamond dust. In my 100mm F7.4 refractor the stars begin to go off a little at the very edge of the field, but so do many other high end eyepieces such as the XW20mm &14mm. A couple of months ago I had chance to compare my Eudiascopic with a friend's 24mm Panoptic in my scope. The Eudiascopic was just as sharp and far more comfortable and more pleasureable to use. The only advantage the Pan 24mm had was a slightly darker sky background due to its slightly higher power.

2017-08-30 07.23.51.jpg

I've tried a 35mm Eudiascopic and I used to own a Celestron Ultima 35mm (pic below) which looked and performed absoloutely identically as far as I could tell. As Mike says, they show as much sky as the 1.25" format can. Personally I found shorter FL / wider eyepieces such as the 24 Panoptic more effective on dso's because the higher magnification darkened my slightly light polluted background sky and as I acquired scopes with faster focal ratios the exit pupil delivered by the 35mm eyepiece got a little too large.

These 35mms are quality Japanese glass though. They do need a little more inwards focuser travel than many eyepieces I found.

955334-8.jpg

The US brand Parks offered their Gold series too, which were based on the same design, as did Orion USA, with their Ultrascopics. Another one of this design were the Antares Elites, very similar in appearance to the Ultimas.

I had the Parks Gold 20mm and it was a lovely eyepiece, razor sharp in my then F10-F15 refractors.

I think the Eudascopic from Baader is the only range of this type still being made, and not in all the previous focal lengths. I think they are around £150 new but do come up used for much less once in a while.

I also believe that the Tak LE range shared a similar design from 7.5mm up? I own the 7.5mm, a superb eyepiece, and a HI-LE 3.6mm, also superb but a slightly different design.

Dave ☺

• 1 month later...
On 23/11/2017 at 15:31, F15Rules said:

The US brand Parks offered their Gold series too, which were based on the same design, as did Orion USA, with their Ultrascopics. Another one of this design were the Antares Elites, very similar in appearance to the Ultimas.

I had the Parks Gold 20mm and it was a lovely eyepiece, razor sharp in my then F10-F15 refractors.

I think the Eudascopic from Baader is the only range of this type still being made, and not in all the previous focal lengths. I think they are around £150 new but do come up used for much less once in a while.

I also believe that the Tak LE range shared a similar design from 7.5mm up? I own the 7.5mm, a superb eyepiece, and a HI-LE 3.6mm, also superb but a slightly different design.

Dave ☺

I have bought a pre-owned one from APM. Looking forward to testing it against my Panoptic 35mm and TV 32mm Plossl. I am an eyepiece magpie!

On 1/16/2018 at 10:59, 25585 said:

I have bought a pre-owned one from APM. Looking forward to testing it against my Panoptic 35mm and TV 32mm Plossl. I am an eyepiece magpie!

I've always wondered just how much in-focus is required for this eyepiece.  If you have an eyepiece known to focus at the shoulder, could you then put your new eyepiece in the focuser to see how much you have to move the focuser inward to reach focus?  Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Louis D said:

I've always wondered just how much in-focus is required for this eyepiece... 

Quite a bit if the design is the same as the Celestron Ultima 35mm and Orion Ultrascopic 35mm that I've owned in the past. The field stop and focal plane of the eyepiece is situated above the shoulder of the eyepiece to allow the widest field stop diameter possible (the UO Konig 32mm 1.25" and KK Widescan II and III's also use this approach) and this results in additional in-focus of somewhere bewtween 5mm-10mm (I can't recall the exact amount) over most other 1.25" eyepieces.

56 minutes ago, John said:

Quite a bit if the design is the same as the Celestron Ultima 35mm and Orion Ultrascopic 35mm that I've owned in the past. The field stop and focal plane of the eyepiece is situated above the shoulder of the eyepiece to allow the widest field stop diameter possible (the UO Konig 32mm 1.25" and KK Widescan II and III's also use this approach) and this results in additional in-focus of somewhere bewtween 5mm-10mm (I can't recall the exact amount) over most other 1.25" eyepieces.

That’s a lot of winding the focuser. Do standard focusers have enough length to accommodate using the ep on its own?

I haven't made any measurements, but the limited travel on my FC100DC still has plenty of inward travel left, after the 35mm Eudiascopic has reached focus. I'd imagine standard refractor focusers wouldn't have a problem with this eyepiece!

1 hour ago, 25585 said:

That’s a lot of winding the focuser. Do standard focusers have enough length to accommodate using the ep on its own?

They vary. It doesn't help if you are using a 2" diagonal because that eats up more in-focus than a 1.25". The figure I've seen for the 35mm Ultrascopic / Celestron Ultima is that they need 10mm further in-focus travel than the ES 68 and 82 eyepieces.

52 minutes ago, John said:

They vary. It doesn't help if you are using a 2" diagonal because that eats up more in-focus than a 1.25". The figure I've seen for the 35mm Ultrascopic / Celestron Ultima is that they need 10mm further in-focus travel than the ES 68 and 82 eyepieces.

Good point! I only use a 1.25" prism but a 2" diagonal might just prove problematic with the DC focuser. A 2" low profile diagonal might be ok though!?

16 minutes ago, 25585 said:

Something to bear in mind for focuser upgrades maybe. Moonlite go up to 70mm focusing tube on their CR Newtonian ones (though FLO don't stock that for CR2).

A long drawtube gives you more out-focus but to get more in-focus you need a lower profile focuser unit ...... or a shorter scope tube.

With my Vixen ED102SS, once the 2" diagonal is in place, I don't have masses of inwards forcuser travel left - perhaps 20mm when the Pentax XW is at focus, a little more with the Panoptic 24 which needs around 8mm out-focus over the XW's. The Delos 17.3 and 14 need a touch more in-focus than the XW's but I have enough in hand for that. My other refractors have more inwards travel available than the Vixen does.

1 hour ago, John said:

A long drawtube gives you more out-focus but to get more in-focus you need a lower profile focuser unit ...... or a shorter scope tube.

With my Vixen ED102SS, once the 2" diagonal is in place, I don't have masses of inwards forcuser travel left - perhaps 20mm when the Pentax XW is at focus, a little more with the Panoptic 24 which needs around 8mm out-focus over the XW's. The Delos 17.3 and 14 need a touch more in-focus than the XW's but I have enough in hand for that. My other refractors have more inwards travel available than the Vixen does.

That's consitent with my experience.  The 1.25" XWs and 17mm Nagler T4 focus at the shoulder (more or less), the 12mm and below Delos as well as the 24mm Panoptic and many other TV eyepieces in the "B" focus group reach focus 0.25" or 6mm further out while the 14mm and above Delos reach focus 0.23" or 6mm further in.  My Speers-Waler 5-8mm zoom requires the most in focus of all my eyepieces.  It varies by focal length, but is at least 10mm.

4 hours ago, John said:

John by that do you mean shorter focal length telescope?

4 minutes ago, 25585 said:

John by that do you mean shorter focal length telescope?

No, just a shorter tube so there is more inwards focus available. Some manufacturers have split tubes so you can remove a section in order to be able to use binoviewers without a barlow.

On 19/01/2018 at 14:34, John said:

After using a 35mm Ultima last night, im pretty certain the Eudiascopic is identical, other than the name! I'd been observing the moon with a friend's scope but the highlight of the evening was a view of the Pleiades through the Ultima. It's typical that now I've found a line of eyepieces I actually desire, they are no longer available. It seems to be the story of my life! :BangHead:

17 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

After using a 35mm Ultima last night, im pretty certain the Eudiascopic is identical, other than the name! I'd been observing the moon with a friend's scope but the highlight of the evening was a view of the Pleiades through the Ultima. It's typical that now I've found a line of eyepieces I actually desire, they are no longer available. It seems to be the stoty of my life! :BangHead:

Don't give up! They are out there. There will more Celestrons & Orions than Baaders probably. I find things by browsing randomly. Sheer chance. US will have Orions, EU will have Baaders and both should have Celestrons.

My 35mm has arrived. Lighter than the TV 32mm Plossl. 

2 slip-on metal rings. Can be used as loose fitting eye relief extenders. Winged eye cup is removable, bare metal rim underneath. Eye lens cap will not fit over the cup. 

Good light transmission, which will be useful as a finder ep. 

IMG_20180122_140446.jpg

IMG_20180122_140058.jpg

IMG_20180122_140142.jpg

IMG_20180122_140404.jpg

Archived