Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Warning - fraudulent Tak eBay listing

Stu

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, scitmon said:

forgive my ignorance, but how do you know its a fake?

It looks like a classic scam. The "seller" requests you to contact them outside of ebay (against ebay rules) for a buy now price. They will also want you to pay using bank transfer or some other way that leaves you unprotected ie no telescope and no money.

Good call Stu :smiley:

There are regularly such ads on e.bay and they become quite easy to spot once you get to know them. The characteristics are very high end equipment, a "come and buy me" starting price and an "e.mail me for a special price" type offer in the description somewhere :rolleyes2:

It must get a little annoying if you own the gear in question, to see your lovely scope used to try and con people :angry:

When I bought my TMB/LZOS from e.bay there were no other bids and I wonder if it was also thought be be a scam. In reality my seller did not break any of the rules (like these scams do) and as it happens I knew him so it was a safe bid.

Or, go collect and pay cash on collection, which you have to now with collect items, you are not allowed to use paypal for collected items anymore...!! As people were selling items, having them collected and the buyer uses PayPal, then the buyer was claiming back that they never recieved the item and getting money back....yet another scam...

I think the idea is that if it was 2k you would probably want to go and view it. For this price they want you may think its worth a punt and hand over your money without thinking. I may email the rescam team to see if they would take up his email response.

I think they are trying to get a "knee jerk" reaction like most scams do. They want people to think that there is a chance of an unbelievable bargain and to act quickly without really thinking things through.

I did reply to one of these ages ago asking if I could got and see the scope but got no reply of course. They are using hacked e.bay accounts as well - if you look at the previous activity of the e.bay IDs being used there is usually no history at all of and astro equipment or anything vaguely related to it.

57 minutes ago, Craney said:

I think the £5.00  postage is enough to give the game away.....  Thanks for the warning....

But if this was listed at  £2000+...  would we not be too concerned and consider it  more 'genuine' ??

The scary thing is, if these scammers were a little smarter then things would be much easier to fall for.

As John says, high end kit with a 0.99p starting price and then an email address in one of the images inviting you contact them for a buy it now price. All hacked accounts, just keep reporting them whenever you see them.

One very dangerous one I saw once, and fell for, was an eBay page embedded as an image inviting you to log on. I stupidly did this and then 'clicked' that I had just given them my password which is how they hack accounts!! Quick change of password and I had no problems but quite scary.

To many people on the bay of thieves think they can scam honest people out of the hard earned and then they dont have to do a days work in their life! i only use ebay for little things like RC parts nowadays and dont sell on there any more, @Stu good call for flagging it up

Its still for sale and the price has gone up now....at £1385 currently. The item collect in person location is in the same town as me in Huntingdon. If I hadn't of seen your post, I would have been very tempted to bid!

Would be scary to lose this money through a scam

6 minutes ago, festoon said:

Its still for sale and the price has gone up now....at £1385 currently. The item collect in person location is in the same town as me in Huntingdon. If I hadn't of seen your post, I would have been very tempted to bid!

Would be scary to lose this money through a scam

That's one of the reasons I posted this. Most of these get caught early at low bids, this one was at over £300 meaning that plenty of people were falling for it. Please feel free to report again so it gets taken down.

Archived