SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

How do we define Video Astronomy

MartinFlower

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I reckon eVscope technology can probably be fairly closely replicated using a fairly modest budget Atik or ZWO camera with a cheap Goto telescope and live stacking software like Atik's "Infinity" running on a laptop.  Whilst EAA is a significant way forward favoured my many of us,  the idea of doing EAA via an eyepiece seems to be a rather odd almost backward step that probably pleases nobody. 

However, it being a neat all inclusive 'bundle' has appeal, and I believe it can be run remotely from your phone screen, but my fully wireless set up with NUC, and high end camera on 8" SCT broadcasting and controlled via TeamViewer should perform vastly better. Price will be a critical factor.   However, might be a half-decent 'Grab & Go" for EAA.

Oh dear.

A simple 'plug and play' scope hat lets everyone and anyone see things that look like the pictures in the books...

I can think of 1001 reasons to criticise it, and no doubt a small TFT screen would work 'better' and be easier to look at. I suspect the 'eyepiece' is no more than a DSLR live view finder, low res allowing high magnification.

But it is EXACTLY what Joe public wants - colourful images that reveal hidden objects with minimal technical ability required.

I suspect this is a 'disruptive' technology and it will no doubt bring the ire of purist observers down on video astronomers for inspiring it.

I would agree. It will certainly take knocks from amateur astronomers. I suspect professional astronomers will take a more informed view that it would actually make people aware of what is  out there and inspire people to maybe get further into the subject.

There will be a swathe of "I have this X,Y,Z equipment and get much better views for the same money". However this is missing the fact it took 6 months of effort and hard learning curves, a mass of spaghetti cabling into laptops, integration and configuration of numerous software packages and obsessive trawling of forums to get to that point. 

My view is that it can only elevate the subject in the public view should it work. If people have the money but not the experience i say why not !

On 22/11/2017 at 12:58, MartinFlower said:

Hi,

Im currently using a starlight ultrastar on an 80ED. Im taking 30s or 60s exposures and then stacking etc.

I was just wondering how are people defining what they do as video astronomy rather than short exposure astrophotography? Is it just the use of a tool such as starlight Live or the atik software or something more?

Search for Evo mount on SGL there is a mass of opinion - bottom line is "its not in general production YET" so who knows for sure.

Archived