SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Help with how to prevent star bloating.

I'm hoping that some of the experts here can offer me some tips for photoshop processing of nebulae. I'm still very much at the beginner stage both for capture and processing and love reading the tips that are shared here to try to help everyone get better images. 

I'm quite pleased with what I've managed to get in my attached image of the Cocoon Nebula for the object itself, but I'd love to know how to get this effect without blowing out the stars around it. I'm vaguely aware of the concept of layer masking, but I'm not sure how to go about it. 

The image is a stack of 65 180" subs, calibrated with flats but no darks or bias. I did dither after every 5 subs though and advice seems to be that this negates the need for darks. Stacking was done in DSS using kappa-sigma clipping, then processing in PS CC 2018 using lots of small curves, levels and HSL adjustments. 

Thank you for looking. 

Graeme

IC5146 2.jpg

Archived