Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

Alaness

Successfully Debayered a £15 350D for Full Spectrum Monochrome

Recommended Posts

I've always wanted to do this modification. But now winter is upon us and the fun stuff is coming out so I finally decided to give it a serious attempt. I picked up a faulty 350D on eBay for £15, tested it and found that the fault was nothing more than a dud battery. I ripped it apart and carefully dismantled the sensor. The coverglass came off very easily with a razor blade. Things were going well until without thinking I went to wipe some of the dust off the surface and hit a gold wire. Ok, so I gritted my teeth, picked up another sensor on eBay for £20...Only this time I cut the razer in half and stuck the two sides down so they covered the amazingly delicate gold wires. Absolutely no problems from then on out. I practised various techniques on the broken sensor and found the wooden tool I made worked best.  I used the handle of an old brush and carved it down to a sharp flat blade about 3-4mm across. It took about an hour to completely remove the material. Right now I have the camera in a semi-assembled state for testing. I've taken a few test shots, but without a CF card right now I cannot upload them just yet (That's another eBay order on the way). There is a very thin line of colour on the top and bottom of the images as the razer guides overlapped a bit preventing the removal of a mm or so of the matrix. I don't mind that at all. I can see though I have a bit of cleaning work to do in some places so I'm about to start work on a dustproof glovebox for a second disassembly and cleaning. It's a lot of work but I'm having so much fun. 

23804455_1665304156842430_285621810_n.jpg

23846652_1666332813406231_1299895517_o.jpg

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really well done! I've full spectrum modded several 350D's in the past, but de-bayering is a whole new level...not for the faint hearted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Serg10
      I joined the forum to learn more about risks and success of filter removal for UV and IR photography.

      Back in 2011, one of the group's members, was trying to do just that:

      Unfortunately Stephen hasn't been active in the group since 2014, but the filter removal appears to have gone well (at least the S3 wasn't killed in the process).
      I have the same exact camera and I'm looking forward to try the same exact procedure. Does anyone has any tips on how to do this successfully/safely?

       
    • By coatesg
      This one was taken with my modded 350d - linking to the original post:
       
    • By coatesg
      Had a clear, but v cold night here last night (11th Dec), and got the widefield rig out again.  Skies weren't too great, despite the cold - a covering of snow always seems to make for much brighter skies.
      I imaged the area around the Flaming Star Neb (IC405) using the modded 350d + Canon 85mm EF combo. Here's 79x5min (6h35m) at ISO400, f4, through an IDAS P2. Lens is a bit sharper at f4.5, but wanted to try and get as much signal as poss, without completely wrecking the stars.
      I offset the framing to have a tilt at getting the SN remnant Simeis 147, the Spaghetti nebula (Sh2-240). Bearing in mind this is a non narrowband image with an uncooled camera, I'm fairly pleased to see it there (though v faint!!!). Most definitely one for an HA filter attempt with a more suitable rig! Would have been nice to have M37 not quite so close to the edge... :-/
      Original and annotated at 2048px width below. 
      Thanks for looking!


       
    • By coatesg
      Another widefield I took on 25th/26th Nov using my Baader modded 350d and Canon 85mm EF f1.8 USM (working at f4.5). This is 21x5min, so 1h45m total taken at ISO400 using an IDAS P2 filter from here in Oxfordshire. 
      I'm sure the region doesn't need too much introduction. To be honest, it needs a lot more exposure, and arguably taking with something more sensitive with less read noise! Being a bit further south would help me too...there was a heavy dose of DBE to sort the gradients out here. 
      Barnard's Loop, the Bogeyman, M42/3, Flame and Horsehead all relatively easy, and the dusty stuff (part of The Orion Molecular Cloud Complex) that extends between them passing by M78 is reasonably obvious, though the fainter stuff is all a bit noisy still. There's also the bluish nebulosity LBN 915 *just* on the limit of visibility to the right of Sh2-278 that extends around the right of eta Orionis. As I said though, it all needs much greater SNR, and less need to resort to MMT for noise reduction... (any more and it started to adversely affect the image). 
      Both images reduced to 2048px width here for convenience.
      Thanks for looking.

       
       
       
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.