SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

I want to build something

souls33k3r

Hi All,

Well to further elaborate on the above topic, i don't know where to start.

I know what i want but i do not have the required skills nor do i have the knowledge. Saying that 2 years ago i knew nothing about telescopes and all that malarkey that goes with it :) So i know if i put my mind to something, i can always do it. I'm just looking for a push.

Saying all that, i know what i want so a little bit of guidance is required.

I would like to build a USB and a power hub so that only one cable comes out and it goes in to the mains and that's it.

Currently i have 2 x USB 2.0 hub ports on my ASI1600 which are being utilized by the guidecam and FW. The FTDIR cable, ASI1600 USB 3 cable and my polemaster goes in to the laptop and i want to eliminate that ... i can use some cable tie but i don't want any cable drags and sags. Also in the near future i'm looking for a motorised focuser so use this "potential" diy box to be able to do everything.

Too much to ask? Bring it on! i'm up for the challenge.

Now what would i need to know? What would i need? Where can i get the information from? Any Youtube channel to suggest? Anything you like to suggest?

I hope i'm not asking for too much here but i really want to jump on the money saving bandwagon here.

Thanks in advance.

16 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

lol for a second i thought you were going to suggest i just buy this lol
Yes something similar. I just need some guidance, some directions to be shown 

Yes they are a nice, VERY EXPENSIVE, play thing.

First decide what connections you require and include future proofing. Do you require dew heaters. Do you want to incorporate your auto focus circuitry within the "box"

For the power connectors you want to use 3 pin mini XLR connectors. I would incorporate a Startech 12v 7 port USB3 hub into the "box" also. It may be on the expensive side but it industrial quality and dimensionally would fit  into a "box". That sorts the USB connectors. I know throwing all this into one "box/container" is big ask but it can be done. HTH

Steve

33 minutes ago, sloz1664 said:

Do you want to fit it between the mount & scope similar to this:-

C.JPG.a91d95e33f0194bdbc528ab639c7be32.JPG

I don't mean building the computer as well :)

Steve

That's a stonking idea, I've just be planning out my "box" and with the addition of one of these and putting it on top of the scope I'd only need a power lead...

https://www.ebuyer.com/810799-chillblast-micro-system-cbfuswap

16 minutes ago, John78 said:

That's a stonking idea, I've just be planning out my "box" and with the addition of one of these and putting it on top of the scope I'd only need a power lead...

https://www.ebuyer.com/810799-chillblast-micro-system-cbfuswap

Not bad at all john and only 12cm sq and 2.5cm deep good idea

14 hours ago, sloz1664 said:

For the power connectors you want to use 3 pin mini XLR connectors. I would incorporate a Startech 12v 7 port USB3 hub into the "box" also. It may be on the expensive side but it industrial quality and dimensionally would fit  into a "box". That sorts the USB connectors. I know throwing all this into one "box/container" is big ask but it can be done. HTH

Another vote for XLR connectors and also the Startech USB hub. I have two of these superb hubs, and agree with Steve, it's money well spent. What's also nice about the hub is that it can be switched from taking its power from the bus or from an external 12v source.

I'm using the standard size XLRs, don't think mini XLRs come in panel mount plugs, I think they are are sockets only on panels.

Huw

9 minutes ago, Horwig said:

Another vote for XLR connectors and also the Startech USB hub. I have two of these superb hubs, and agree with Steve, it's money well spent. What's also nice about the hub is that it can be switched from taking its power from the bus or from an external 12v source.

I'm using the standard size XLRs, don't think mini XLRs come in panel mount plugs, I think they are are sockets only on panels.

Huw

This is the socket and only a quick check on Ebay. I'm certain they can be obtained cheaper tha this.

5a1548c78bea0_XLRSocket.JPG.db76e8fdab96d09fe9f37c2c02baa94a.JPG

Steve

Archived