Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader MPCC MKIII and Skywatcher M48 Ring

Spaced Out

Hi All

I’m just wondering how others managed to attach and correctly space a Baader MPCC MKIII to a Skywatcher M48 ring ?

I currently use a standard T2 ring with the MPCC and a set of delrin spacers to achieve the correct spacing, it’s fairly straightforward.

I’d like to progress to using the skywatcher M48 ring that I have but there doesn’t seem to be an easy way to make this work (no off the shelf narrow spacers available to fine tune things with the M48 ring?).

I am just wondering what other people have used to make this MPCC work with the M48 ring ?   

Are these what you are looking for? : https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/advanced_search_result.php/language/en/keywords/M48 abstimmring/suchdas/OK. Here they are a bit cheaper: https://www.astromarket.org/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=M48+ring&search_in_description=1  scroll a bit down the page to see them.

Many options are available, just use the right key words for searching and know where to search.

21 hours ago, Spaced Out said:

correctly space a Baader MPCC MKIII to a Skywatcher M48 ring

You need 57.5mm from the shoulder of the m48 thread on the cc to the sensor.

Remove the t2 adaptor and 2.5mm cosmetic ring from the cc Then simply screw a 4mm spacer (a 2" filter without the glass is fine) onto the cc, then the male of the filter into the m48-eos.

That's it.

HTH.

m48.thumb.jpg.78661af2154021da4ad1e115406ac0a5.jpg

14 hours ago, Waldemar said:

Are these what you are looking for? : https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/advanced_search_result.php/language/en/keywords/M48 abstimmring/suchdas/OK. Here they are a bit cheaper: https://www.astromarket.org/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=M48+ring&search_in_description=1  scroll a bit down the page to see them.

Many options are available, just use the right key words for searching and know where to search.

I'm not sure ?! Looks a useful start tho, I'll take a closer look and see if these will work. Has any one else used these successfully ?

Thanks for replying. 

They are just meant for fine tuning, not to bridge the whole distance for that you will need something like on this page:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=M48+adapter&suchdas=OK

Edit: this one probably tics all the boxes for you: http://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/baader-varilock-46-lockable-t-2-extensiontube-29-46mm-with-spanner-tool-(t-2-part-25v).html

• 6 months later...
On 21/11/2017 at 21:05, alacant said:

You need 57.5mm from the shoulder of the m48 thread on the cc to the sensor.

Remove the t2 adaptor and 2.5mm cosmetic ring from the cc Then simply screw a 4mm spacer (a 2" filter without the glass is fine) onto the cc, then the male of the filter into the m48-eos.

That's it.

HTH.

m48.thumb.jpg.78661af2154021da4ad1e115406ac0a5.jpg

Hi all

Time to resurrect this post !

Unfortunately due to some difficult personal circumstances I’ve not been able to progress with this or anything else astro related. So, apologies if I seem to ask the same questions, I’m a total novice and my gear has been in a box for months now so it is like learning it all over again for me.

Anyway, I’m trying to get back into this and my first job is to try and sort out this M48 DLSR ring spacing issue.

I currently have the Baader MPCC set up ok with a T2 ring and some very thin spacers. I have just measured the length of this using callipers, then I measured the length of the MPCC (minus T2 adapter and the cosmetic ring) screwed directly into the M48 ring with no spacing.

Set up correctly with the T2 ring it measured 43.5mm

Just screwed into the M48 ring it measured 40mm

So I guess I need to bridge a 3.5mm gap to get the correct spacing ?

As alacant kindly suggested above a 4mm spacer is required. So a few novice questions from me, and sorry if they sound daft !

1 – Is there such a thing as a 4mm M48 spacer for this ? I’ve done quick web search and am failing to find one. I have seen 5mm M48 spacers.

2 – If I have to bridge a 3.5mm gap will 4mm allow enough thread to screw in at either end ?

3 – I don’t own or know anything about filters so are they all 4mm in depth as standard ? Can you get them without glass in or does the glass just come out easily ? 

4 – Can anyone direct me to a web link of a spacer or filter that could work for me here please ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

1 hour ago, Spaced Out said:

Hi all

Time to resurrect this post !

Unfortunately due to some difficult personal circumstances I’ve not been able to progress with this or anything else astro related. So, apologies if I seem to ask the same questions, I’m a total novice and my gear has been in a box for months now so it is like learning it all over again for me.

Anyway, I’m trying to get back into this and my first job is to try and sort out this M48 DLSR ring spacing issue.

I currently have the Baader MPCC set up ok with a T2 ring and some very thin spacers. I have just measured the length of this using callipers, then I measured the length of the MPCC (minus T2 adapter and the cosmetic ring) screwed directly into the M48 ring with no spacing.

Set up correctly with the T2 ring it measured 43.5mm

Just screwed into the M48 ring it measured 40mm

So I guess I need to bridge a 3.5mm gap to get the correct spacing ?

As alacant kindly suggested above a 4mm spacer is required. So a few novice questions from me, and sorry if they sound daft !

1 – Is there such a thing as a 4mm M48 spacer for this ? I’ve done quick web search and am failing to find one. I have seen 5mm M48 spacers.

2 – If I have to bridge a 3.5mm gap will 4mm allow enough thread to screw in at either end ?

3 – I don’t own or know anything about filters so are they all 4mm in depth as standard ? Can you get them without glass in or does the glass just come out easily ? 

4 – Can anyone direct me to a web link of a spacer or filter that could work for me here please ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi Gary

Good to see you back posting on the forum.  Hopefully you can get sorted and ready coming months.

39 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Hi Gary

Good to see you back posting on the forum.  Hopefully you can get sorted and ready coming months.

Cheers Adam, nice to be back ! Yep, just trying to get a few things in order before the endless twilight goes ! ?

6 hours ago, Spaced Out said:

Is there such a thing as a 4mm M48 spacer

Hi and welcome back.

Yes, there is such an item. If you have a 2" filter you probably already have one; just remove the glass.

HTH.

11 hours ago, alacant said:

Hi and welcome back.

Yes, there is such an item. If you have a 2" filter you probably already have one; just remove the glass.

HTH.

Hi, thanks for this.

Apologies for these dumb questions but I have no filters and I know nothing about filters ! Are they all a standard size then ? If I just find the cheapest possible 2" filter and remove the glass should that give me the 4mm bridge I need ? I've tried to google filter depth measurements but didn't get very far !

I am wondering if the 5mm spacers I have seen might also work ? Does 5mm generally mean total length including the threads or 5mm spacing length plus the threads ? Maybe I will contact the sellers to clarify this one !

30 minutes ago, Spaced Out said:

Does 5mm generally mean total length including the threads

Hi.Yes, the 5mm refers to the extension it provides, not including the threads. If you don't have a spare filter, there's a custom 4mm extension. The same company do a set of extension rings too. If you're in this for the long haul, the latter may be worth consideration. HTH.

1 hour ago, alacant said:

Hi.Yes, the 5mm refers to the extension it provides, not including the threads. If you don't have a spare filter, there's a custom 4mm extension. The same company do a set of extension rings too. If you're in this for the long haul, the latter may be worth consideration. HTH.

Excellent thanks, looks to be just what I need ! ?

Archived