Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion in the water

Here's an exercise in how to turn a very simple, relaxed and atmospheric image into a three act play !

Nikon D750 - Tamron 15-30 f2.8 lens.  25 seconds ISO 800 15mm f2.8. Then take five of them.

Into Lightroom for the first round ! Remove vignette, change colour temperature, increase exposure slightly, lighten the shadows and sync to all five images.

Into Sequator ( New stacking software for starscapes ) with all five. Freeze off the ground and stack the stars with a mask and save the output file. This has the effect of reducing noise in the image very effectively.

Back into Lightroom to tweak the colours ( The foreground is very slightly different to the sky ) and final lifting of shadows.

Into Photoshop to change the perspective ( Stop the trees from falling over ! ) That has the downside of making the stars look worse but hey .... Very slight noise reduction on the foreground. Slight increase in contrast to get the tree branches / leaves to tighten up. Save the final image.

Sit and stare at it for around 30 minutes agonising about whether to do just a little bit more. Didn't.

Easy ! :)

Dave.

Sequator Orion.jpg

Thank you all very much for the likes and comments, I'm chuffed. So ..... two suggestions for Christmas cards eh ? :)

With regards to Sequator, here is the link - https://sites.google.com/site/sequatorglobal/

There is a short YouTube video here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-MCvbYj-hA  although I only found it after I'd been using Sequator a short while.

I strongly suggest the Starscape crowd take a close look. I've tried it a few times now and am impressed to say the least. It's a free Windows app but Mac users have got Starry Landscape Stacker that's not free but not mega expensive. Video and short write up here - https://www.lonelyspeck.com/noise-free-astrophotography-with-starry-landscape-stacker/

One warning re Sequator. It will overwrite saved data without warning so beware and save as a new file every time. It won't touch your original files but will mess things up if you want to compare a few tests.

So far with my DSLR I've found five subs to be the minimum to get a smooth sky. Ten is better, of course but I did try fifty as an experiment and the app still coped quite well. Utter over kill and a bit " Plastic " looking so don't bother !

That's given away one of my secrets so I expect some cracking results from everyone now LOL

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived