Narrowband

200p or not 200p that is the question

Hi Folks, 

So I have a dilemma. Right now I have an Eq5 goto mount. I recently sold my old set up a SW150p on an Eq3-2 to purchase a new scope to fit the Eq5. I am interested in observing DSOs and planets (visually). 

Now, the plan was to buy a 200p but I'm concerned about the size of the set up. I will need to transport it to dark sky sights. I have had my finger hovering over the buy button for about a week now!!!! 

Any suggestions for alternatives that will give me a similar performance to the 200p without the size? 

Budget around £250.

Thanks in advance for your help. 

Simon 

I have taken my 200p and EQ5 to suitable sites on two or three occasions. Its size is neither here nor there really. It's fairly light and it fits nicely in the boot of the car wrapped in a sheet or similar. That's not to say there aren't better grab and go set ups. Interesting to see what others recommend. 

I don't know if it would fit on a 'tripod' based mount, but you can get the 200P, 250P etc. as flex tubes.  My flex-tube 200P is less than a metre in its undrawn out state.  FWIW I've had the whole set-up with the Dob. mount that I have in the car (I have an estate) on a couple of occasions.

Peter is quite right, a big yes.  In answer to your second question,  there is no suitable alternative that will give you the same performance in a smaller size and anywhere near your budget.

Years ago, such a scope would be much more highly regarded than it is now and would be kept for years once purchased if not for your entire astronomical 'career'.  Nowadays people are too easily seduced by more exotic and pretty scopes with lots of electrical gizmos that, if they are honest, most people don't need.

These scopes are a real bargain and it should give you years of pleasure.

Archived