Delited to say my eyepiece buying days are 'over'

Moonshane

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 20 November 2017 at 22:34, Ruud said:

Ah.

I thought 'over' meant 'over until TV comes with their new line.' That's going to be 90°, flat field, 18 mm eye relief, fully corrected edge to edge, down to f/3.5 and all in crystal clear, tone free glass. Nobody will be able to resist it.

20mm min eye relief minimum & no kidney beans. Dial in diopter adjustment +/- 10 and yes! Otherwise my lust is for an XW40 for closure. 

It's a great feeling when you are happy and contented with your completed eyepiece collection. I thought I had reached it, when I had a full set of Delos's but it hasn't happened. I have now found Clave' of Paris eyepieces and these are stunning and now the journey begins all over again.

Great collection Shane but never say never.

I’ve just managed to parfocalise my main case (Delos and Panopticon). Now, due to pure laziness, I can never buy another eyepiece (except a 4.7 Delos). Also, I have a Paracorr Mk 1.2 so the periodic desire to go wiiiiiiddde/Ethos is squashed as well!

Paul

PS. Got to try a Clave now.

7 hours ago, Saganite said:

Love of binoviewing has reshaped my eyepiece cases completely, gone are the 22mm and 17mm Nagler T4's, the Pentax XW 7mm and the Ethos 13 will soon follow, and I am as close to saying "that's it" as I have ever been. :happy11:

Surely rather than selling the XW7 you want to be buying one for the other eye :hello2:

10 hours ago, Ricochet said:

Surely rather than selling the XW7 you want to be buying one for the other eye :hello2:

Believe me , I would have done so had it been possible to use them, but a pair of them would be much too wide for my IPD.  

9 minutes ago, Saganite said:

Believe me , I would have done so had it been possible to use them, but a pair of them would be much too wide for my IPD.  

Yeah, they are quite wide. I've just picked up a cheap BV to test how I get on with them and based on a preliminary couple of tests I can use XWs if I wind the eyecup down a bit in order to look squarely through them. Smaller eyepieces that settle more into the eye sockets might be more comfortable, but then you lose the FoV. What are you using in your BVs?

4 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

Yeah, they are quite wide. I've just picked up a cheap BV to test how I get on with them and based on a preliminary couple of tests I can use XWs if I wind the eyecup down a bit in order to look squarely through them. Smaller eyepieces that settle more into the eye sockets might be more comfortable, but then you lose the FoV. What are you using in your BVs?

I use the following pairs, 24mm Pans, 19mm Pans, and just in the last two weeks, a pair of Baader Mk4 zooms, the latter, to my great delight, being very acceptable, and with the adjustable tops removed and the eye cups fitted, ergonomically perfect....for me ,that is.

Many people have tried these, and find the FOV at 24 mm, restricting, and whilst I agree, I find them to be ok, however, the 24mm Pans and 19mm Pans get a lot of use, and cover the longer focal lengths. The panoptic eyepieces that I have are so compact that they really are IMHO perfect for binoviewing. :happy11:

16 minutes ago, Saganite said:

I use the following pairs, 24mm Pans, 19mm Pans, and just in the last two weeks, a pair of Baader Mk4 zooms, the latter, to my great delight, being very acceptable, and with the adjustable tops removed and the eye cups fitted, ergonomically perfect....for me ,that is.

Many people have tried these, and find the FOV at 24 mm, restricting, and whilst I agree, I find them to be ok, however, the 24mm Pans and 19mm Pans get a lot of use, and cover the longer focal lengths. The panoptic eyepieces that I have are so compact that they really are IMHO perfect for binoviewing. :happy11:

Thanks. It's good to hear you are happy with the zooms, not having to change out pairs of eyepieces is quite an attractive proposition.

I was content with my humble eps until joining SGL! ;)

Admittedly out of date after 25 years away from this hobby, so found significant progress and ranges/manufacturers in the last quarter century, and good pre-owned bargains. 

My ep collection has trebled but I can cherry pick for particular scopes and sessions from my own collection, it's a good feeling. 

I've still got a few odd ball eyepieces around but my principle sets are now pretty settled I think (really this time ! :rolleyes2:):

1. Ultra Wide Set: Nagler 31, Ethos 21, Ethos 13, Ethos 8, Ethos 6.

2. 1.25" Set: Panoptic 24, Delos 17.3, Delos 14, Pentax XW's 10, 7, 5 and 3.5, Nagler 2-4mm zoom.

Meade do black & green too (or used to). 

My TV buys I own currently are a Paracorr 2, 2.5x Barlow, couple of Radians & a Panoptic (in a pear tree). 

It's nice to own a complete range even if some hardly ever get used. Just to look at on cloudy nights. Breaking up a set is never easy...

Too much reports of kidney bean & critical eye placement have prevented me from becoming a TV devotee though. They put me off any Delos or Delite considerations. 

XW 5mm will be my last. 

Archived