SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M82 and M81: First try.

sheeprug

So after much hacking and generally using a successive approximation approach with DSS and GIMP I am (not quite) proud to offer my first attempt at Ms81 and 82.    My second attempt when the weather clears is bound to be better, but in the meantime:  

5a130e5b762b8_M81andM82sml.thumb.jpg.5b81f972024922fcedef7924b26cd558.jpg

Obviously there's some vignetting and I'd like to have got more detail in the spiral arms, but of course all criticism welcome.   

Details: WO FLT 110 with field flattener, Canon 750 (unmoded), HEQ5 guided with PHD2.  5 x 300s lights, 6 darks, no flats. 

Nothing wrong with that, it's a very good start. The more data you add the more detail you will get. Focus looks OK. Framing these objects can be tricky which is where something like platesolving can help massively.

Good start and as has been said, flats will make a huge different to the gradient. There is also a bit of star colour hiding in there. Not sure how you bring it out in Gimp but Noel's actions in Photoshop revealed the colour (it draws the colour information from the star fringes into their centres where they have been overexposed).

10 hours ago, alacant said:

Well done. I like the fainter 'whispier' version too. As a fellow GIMP (isn't it wonderful?) user, many congratulations on realising it's potential.

Cheers and clear skies.

Thanks.    I'm just getting to grips with GIMP, so I'm sure there's much more to discover. I gather a big improvement in the later versions is it processes and handles files in 16 bits.  I was using the unstable 2.9.6 version.  

Best, SR.

Archived