Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

CCD Imager

1 hour ago, CCD Imager said:

Here is an image I took last month, around 8 hours of data. Taken with an FSQ and ASI 1600M Cool camera

IC1396-HaOIIIS2.jpg

WOW indeed, that is absolutely gorgeous! I really like what you've done with the colours here. Fantastic image!

ps - You clearly know what you're doing, but if I may add a very small comment, at 100% zoom the orange areas are showing a minor bit of colour noise (red speckling). A small blur of the colour layer will clean that right up. :-)

16 minutes ago, Xiga said:

WOW indeed, that is absolutely gorgeous! I really like what you've done with the colours here. Fantastic image!

ps - You clearly know what you're doing, but if I may add a very small comment, at 100% zoom the orange areas are showing a minor bit of colour noise (red speckling). A small blur of the colour layer will clean that right up. :-)

Thanks for the kind words. You are of course right and if you would have the full size image in front of you its more obvious with other issues too. I thought at 50% size reduction, most wouldn't notice :)

I think you have done a remarkable job.

2 thoughts of mine: I think you should/could remove a little more of the green hue thats lurking from the strong HA (without loosing the nice teal color of the OIII) and i think you're still able to pull out more contrast maybe? your data looks pretty strong (but thats really a 'maybe' as i'm estimating this based on a jpg)

All in all though, darn amazing!

Kind regards, Graem

18 minutes ago, graemlourens said:

I think you have done a remarkable job.

2 thoughts of mine: I think you should/could remove a little more of the green hue thats lurking from the strong HA (without loosing the nice teal color of the OIII) and i think you're still able to pull out more contrast maybe? your data looks pretty strong (but thats really a 'maybe' as i'm estimating this based on a jpg)

All in all though, darn amazing!

Kind regards, Graem

Hi Graem, thanks for the kind words. I'm not so sure about the green element, if I create a saturation layer in photoshop and reduce the whole green component, it turns a bit of the "golden part" red, but no change anywhere else. Do you think you are referring to the cyan component? BTW, my monitor is fully calibrated and as this is a false colour image, there are no rules :) Personally I'm happy with the contrast, I tend to be one of those that doesn't like to over-process or should I say, not process as much as others :) It has had contrast adjustment though

7 hours ago, Xiga said:

Hi Ciaran ...

Sorry to butt in here .... I am interested in your suggestion about adding some "small blur of the colour layer" .... I am only into basic LRGB processing at the moment so it may not apply to me at the moment .... if you suggestion does only refer to LRGB processing .... do you mean a blur in the RGB layer or one of the colour channels? What sort of blur do you suggest?

Regards Mike

51 minutes ago, SlimPaling said:

Hi Ciaran ...

Sorry to butt in here .... I am interested in your suggestion about adding some "small blur of the colour layer" .... I am only into basic LRGB processing at the moment so it may not apply to me at the moment .... if you suggestion does only refer to LRGB processing .... do you mean a blur in the RGB layer or one of the colour channels? What sort of blur do you suggest?

Regards Mike

Hi Mike

It does refer to LRGB processing. So just as normal, you start out by processing your Lum and Colour (RGB) images separately. In Photoshop (which is my tool of choice) i open the Colour image and convert it to Lab Color Mode, then i copy the Lum image into the Lightness channel, before converting back to RGB mode. (i then close the original Lum image). I then duplicate the layer and set the blend mode of the top layer to Luminosity (i think this forces the bottom layer to then act just as a colour layer, but you can set it to blend mode Color just to be safe). The Colour layer will inevitably have some colour noise in it (some more than others, but there will always be some there), and one of the best ways to eliminate it is to simply apply a small Gaussian Blur to the whole Colour layer (usually a few pixels is enough, but it can vary). When you see the before and after effect it's just awesome, it completely cleans up all the colour noise, and because all of the actual detail in the image is contained within the Luminosity layer you don't lose any sharpness or detail. An added bonus is, if you don't own a high-end APO scope and a lot of your stars have coloured artefacts around them (i often get this) it also cleans most of them up too. So it's all good :-)

An alternative method is simply to use Filter-Camera Raw and crank up the Color Noise slider. I think  PS also only applies this to the Color element of the image and not the Luminosity. I've used it quite a bit, and really like it. Either method is fine, so give both a go. 

On 11/20/2017 at 17:40, CCD Imager said:

Hi Graem, thanks for the kind words. I'm not so sure about the green element, if I create a saturation layer in photoshop and reduce the whole green component, it turns a bit of the "golden part" red, but no change anywhere else. Do you think you are referring to the cyan component? BTW, my monitor is fully calibrated and as this is a false colour image, there are no rules :) Personally I'm happy with the contrast, I tend to be one of those that doesn't like to over-process or should I say, not process as much as others :) It has had contrast adjustment though

You're absolutely right, there are no rules at all! As HA is extremely dominant in a lot of narrowband images, one tends to either adapt the relations of HA / OIII & SII before combination (as if one does not, HA will always win, and you have a green image, assuming you're doing SHO) or one can 'magically' reduce / remove the greens (for example Pixinsight has a 'SCNR' script, or i have heard of of HLVG script for Photoshop) that reduces the effort before combining (or one can do a mix of both). 

I do though totally agree that this is a subjective decision to make, and in your case its not overwhelming the image at all so its moaning on a high level...

Also with the decision regarding how far one should go with contrast, again very personal and also I do not like the over processed images. The most important thing is that you are satisfied with it! Its always very hard for me to decide at what point i 'close' the image and i applaud that you're standing ground with the decisions you made :)

If you wish contact me by PM so i can send you a version that ran through SCNR in Pixinsight that balances the green out if you're interested to see how it would look like.

Kind regards, Graem

Happy for you to send me the image. Is that SCNRyc.;;'.exe an MS DOS command :)  I dont use Pixy, tried it a while ago, too much of a steep curve, like learning MS DOS back in the eighties. I'm a pure Photoshop boy (old man). I'm guessing the similar function would be to reduce noise in the green channel?

Archived