Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

AZ-EQ5 GT or HEQ5??? Please help!

dbpetrol

Hello!

I'm going to buy a new telescope. I sold my dobsonian to finance the new scope. The budget is still pretty tight. I'm thinking of getting a 150pds and getting more serious in to astrophotography (using a Star adventurer and DSLR for AP right now). The 150pds will be a compromise: AP - visual.

Now, do I buy the AZ-EQ5 GT on a normal tripod (£949 on FLO) or a HEQ5 (£776)???

AZ-EQ5 GT: 
pros: Newer (more modern??) Newer handset (V4), encoders, beltdrive, USB-port.

cons: No polarscope included. Backlash and slipping clutches? Most posts about this is from 2015. Have skywatcher fixed this now?

HEQ5:
pros: Been around for a while, many users, polarscope included.

cons: No beltdrive, older handset (V3?), no USB-port.

Do I need a eyepiece with a reticle  (£51) for polaralignment in the AZ-EQ5 GT, using the handset, if I don´t have the polarscope?

If I want to use my computer to control the mount, do I need a additional cable for the HEQ5? Can I use the USB on the AZ-EQ5 GT?.

Just some calculations:
AZ-EQ5 GT (£949) + polarscope (£70) = £1019

HEQ5 (£776) + bletdrive mod (do I need it??) (€157 + shipping) + "EQDIR cable" (£34) = £970-ish 

I am rather making some assumptions here. I had a HEQ 5 Pro for a couple of years and though slightly different to the one you are talking of I imagine much is the same.It tracked very well and was only changed due to the fact I always thought the M/N 190mm was a bit on the big side for it, for photography yes it was. The mount was also rather noisy but all in all I was happy even though I had some power issues with it that needed a new cable .

I upgraded to a AZ EQ 6, again slightly bigger than you are considering but again I imagine many things are the same. Mine came with a polar scope but was the propery of the local dealer for a month, so it may have been add. The mount is much quiter and I am very pleased with it. Personally I would go for this version of what you are looking at the AZ EQ 5, I am sure you will be pleased

Hello to Sweden,

I recommend the AZ-EQ5, I have one:hello2: ! for the PRICE/PERFORMANC RATIO and mostly due to the USB PORT, the AZ-EQ5 is a great perfromer.. And for the POLAR ALIGNING process you COULD need the Skywatcher Polfinder for AZ-EQ5 GoTo mount, if you have have a free view to POLARIS! else you do not need it, but could use PHD2 or ASTROTORTILLA for POLAR ALIGNING your mount without view to the POLARIS ( that is what I do ) and did never need any Polfinder and did never buy one, and if you should have free view to POLARIS, then you could use SHARPCAP ( the PRO VERSION costs 10GBP incl. POLAR ALIGNING ROUTINE) for POLAR ALIGNING your mount instead of using a Polfinder ( well, does not work always when you are outside in the field where no electricity is available for your LAPTOP )

Only few thoughts why AZEQ5 could be a better choice, beside the fact that it has Newer handset (V4), Encoders, Beltdrive..

Good luck 

Martin

Does the az eq5 give the option of visual use and can the mount be nudged by hand in az mode?

(i have not read the manual so I don't know)

Doesn't the heq5 only work when powered there no manual movement?

Is there an imaging payload difference between the mounts?

On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 19:29, happy-kat said:

Does the az eq5 give the option of visual use and can the mount be nudged by hand in az mode?

(i have not read the manual so I don't know)

Doesn't the heq5 only work when powered there no manual movement?

Is there an imaging payload difference between the mounts?

Can't comment on the HEQ5, but yes the AZ EQ5 can be manually moved both powered and unpowered by releasing the clutches. It has encoders so that if you manually move it post alignment, it will retain position.

It's a great mount - I love mine. It's light, compact and very portable. Not sure how it would perform when imaging with a large OTA, but visually my C8 is fine on it, and it is great for imaging with my ES 80ED.  

Hello There, I did already state earlier, have also one AZEQ5, and I am using it ( for IMAGING ) with a SKYWATCHER QUATTRO 8" NEWTON+CCD+AUTOGUIDER+ not to forget the CABLES hanging around..

Cheers

Martin

Archived