Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jet pass @ 80 fps

MilwaukeeLion

16f outside but sun was out so bundled up and set up.  Was quite impressed with myself guessing daytime polar alignment, just leveled mount and pointed North with compass.  Sun was nearly in center of finder and on target with camera for solar system alignment.  Then I realized not much to see through wedge today, figured go ahead and do 50 x 2000 frame avi runs see if I could catch a bird or plane.  I think jet is actually traveling toward telescope in a dive, kind of weird angle, why you cant see other engine.  Was running around 80 fps on asi 174mm @ 1200mm fl.

ML

fineplaney - Copy.gif

30 minutes ago, MilwaukeeLion said:

16f outside but sun was out so bundled up and set up.  Was quite impressed with myself guessing daytime polar alignment, just leveled mount and pointed North with compass.  Sun was nearly in center of finder and on target with camera for solar system alignment.  Then I realized not much to see through wedge today, figured go ahead and do 50 x 2000 frame avi runs see if I could catch a bird or plane.  I think jet is actually traveling toward telescope in a dive, kind of weird angle, why you cant see other engine.  Was running around 80 fps on asi 174mm @ 1200mm fl.

ML

fineplaney - Copy.gif

Man, that's a great capture! Silhouetted aircraft can be an optical illusion of sorts, called "aspect angle". In this case, depending on how your brain interprets the image, it could be in a left bank, slightly approaching you, seen from the underside with the left engine visible; it could also be in a right bank, with you looking at it from its upper side, right engine visible. In either case, the unseen engine is within the silhouette of the fuselage. I doubt that the dive is as it appears; that is too steep for normal flight operations unless he's having an emergency. It's more the angle of approach or departure from your angle of view.

My opinion is that the plane is in a right turn, you're seeing it from its upper side, and that's the right engine you see.  A closer inspection shows that it is an Airbus, the small  winglets give it away. The fuselage length would indicate an A320.

52 minutes ago, Subdeo said:

Any idea of what type of plane that is?

I will have guess and say an Airbus A320 or A321. It is to big for the Airbus 318 or A319 and to small for the A330. - does not look like a Boeing.

Archived