Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
CKemu

NGC281 - The Pac Man Nebula

Recommended Posts

24653869328_aaebffcab5_c.jpg

NGC281 - The Pac-Man by Chris Kennedy, on Flickr

35kph gusts of wind, and REALLY bad guiding due to a lack of drift align and the star being "blown away", but managed to get a little something out of 30x360s light frames, also a new target for me, one I want to come back to under better conditions and with other wavelengths of light to make a full colour image.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By rorymultistorey
      So I picked up a classic... a 1970's - 80's edmund optics f6 150mm newtonian...

      ... like this one but mine has a different mount. It was cheap. Very good condition. The focuser is pants. The mechanics of the secondary holder is (IMHO) brilliant and apparently the primary is 1/10th wave.
      But its f6 and I trhink I'd rather swap it out for a faster synta f5 mirror. .  The thing is its a one shot job bc to make the f5 mirror work I will have to saw off a good few cm from the barrel of the scope.
      So the question is: Is a high quality f6 mirror better than a faster synta f5 mirror for wide deep space astrophotograhy?
       
      All comments gratefully received. 😉 
    • By codeman
      IC4604 in LRGB Filters. Taking for Namibia during my visit in June 2019. This beautiful nebula is part of the rho Ophiuchi colorful cloud, i the center a 3 blue bright stars the reflect the blue light on the nebula.
      Photo Details:
      Lum - 20 x 5min = 100min
      RGB - 5x5min for each channel at BIN2, 75min
      Total Exposure: 175Min (~3 Hours)
      Telescope: ASA 12'' F3.6
      Mount: DDM 85 Unguided
      Camera: FLI 16200 Mono
      Filters: Astrodon
      Thanks for watching,
      Haim
      My Flicker Page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/101543943@N04/

        

    • By mikemabel
      My first image of M76 A bit rushed as clear nights are a rarity now
      30x120s Bin 2 Luminance ,SW 102 , ZWO 183MM Pro , OVL field flattener ,guided , processed in Gimp
      Took some Ha as well but poor results for some reason
      Seems an Oiii filter may have brought out some more detail
       
      i know its not great but just chuffed to have imaged it
       
       
       
       
       


    • By MartinB
      This has been a bit of a project.  Last year I worked out that my 200mm Canon F2.8 lens and ASI1600 would frame the whole of the Veil complex quite nicely.  I captured Ha and OIII data for the east and west nebulae with a Tak FSQ 106 and added this into the widefield image.  Although the Tak data had to be shrunk down it did add a bit of extra resolution where it was needed.  
      The difficulty for me has been the processing.  I have found it really difficult to tease out the faint wisps of detail and have tried the usual routines of micro contrast adjustments using curves along with Scott Rosen's Screen blend/mask inversion method but the results weren't great owing to the close proximity of faint and bright nebulosity.  I'd heard about the PI process tool for removing stars, Starnet, so loaded this and had a rare foray into PI.  This proved very helpful.  It was a luminence created from Ha and OIII using the 200mm lens with the Tak data mixed in.  Then the starless layer was added in PS with the screen blend mode at 50% opacity.  The nebulosity detail was so well preserved I didn't need a mask.  After blending I reduced the stars a bit more using the starless layer again and darken as the blend at 50%.  I should really unleash some of the stars to add a bit of "punch" but I've wrestled with this data enough for now!  I plan to use it further as I look deeper into the Gorgon that is PixInsight!
      Telescope: Tak 106 for E and W veils.  Canon 200mmL lens
      Camera: ZWO ASI 1600 pro mono cmos, Gain 150, offset 50
      Filters: Baader 7nm OIII and Ha
      E+W Veil 10x30 mins each channel for each nebula.  Whole complex 50x5mins for each channel
      Captured with SGP, calibrated, aligned and combined with PI, processed mainly with PS but PI for Starnet.  Ha mapped to red and OIII to both blue and green

       
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.