Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss.thumb.jpg.5b348d6a5e7f27bdcb79e9356b7fc03b.jpg

M Astronomy

Imaging with a Star Adventurer

Recommended Posts

The SA does have a snap port built in, so you just need a cable to connect your camera to it and the intervalometer thing is sorted. 

This is what I use when imaging widefield dslr

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Shelster1973 said:

The SA does have a snap port built in, so you just need a cable to connect your camera to it and the intervalometer thing is sorted. 

This is what I use when imaging widefield dslr

Thanks for the info, I have the cable for it and I will download the firmware update as well when I get more familiar with the functions. It would have been nice if it had a LED display built in.:happy7:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aye that would be good

I updated mine to the advanced firmware. That gives good control over the timer and it also flashes to show what you have set too

Edited by Shelster1973
added link
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Missed this thread till now. Shame on me. Some awesome work being done with this little mount.

I have not had my SA out for a while after a house move, but here are some of the images managed over the last 18 months with it, all unguided with both scope setup and a Canon 450d/50mm lens. Also showing off the mono rig on a Berlebach tripod to keep the whole thing low and out of the wind.

 

TS60_SA.jpg

m45_ii.jpg

Andromeda_LRGB_ii.jpg

Cygnus_Widefield.jpg

Milky_Sagittarius.jpg

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some very nice images there 

what telescope is that in photo one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Incredible images! What's the tripod? Looks pretty sturdy.

(Ha just reread it. Might get a berlebach at some point.)

Edited by M Astronomy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MattJenko said:

Missed this thread till now. Shame on me. Some awesome work being done with this little mount.

I have not had my SA out for a while after a house move, but here are some of the images managed over the last 18 months with it, all unguided with both scope setup and a Canon 450d/50mm lens. Also showing off the mono rig on a Berlebach tripod to keep the whole thing low and out of the wind.

 

TS60_SA.jpg

m45_ii.jpg

Andromeda_LRGB_ii.jpg

Cygnus_Widefield.jpg

Milky_Sagittarius.jpg

Thoose images are not with 50mm lenses.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, serbiadarksky said:

Thoose images are not with 50mm lenses.

Well not all of them are, as he did say that he used a scope for some of them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, M Astronomy said:

Well not all of them are, as he did say that he used a scope for some of them.

Well with the scope and that much of detail on andromeda he must use guiding becpuse unguided he cant or anyone cant archieve that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, serbiadarksky said:

Well with the scope and that much of detail on andromeda he must use guiding becpuse unguided he cant or anyone cant archieve that.

If he says its unguided then its unguided. You can get great results with just 30 second exposures that obviously don't need guiding. Maybe he has very good polar alignment, maybe he drift aligns. You don't know, so don't assume he just isn't telling the truth.

Edited by M Astronomy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've done 15 minute exposures with 24mm lens, 90 secs with 300mm f/4 and 90 secs with WO Star 71, driven in RA but unguided.

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 13:09, Shelster1973 said:

Aye that would be good

I updated mine to the advanced firmware. That gives good control over the timer and it also flashes to show what you have set too

So when you updated the firmware, you printed off the new dial etc ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since I haven't tried timelapse imaging yet with the SA, it would be nice to see an in depth video tutorial covering everything from beginning to end while out in the field. Its going to be cloudy here for the next week at least so I have plenty of time to read and watch videos, LOL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are a few.  Lots more on youtube. Just search for star adventurer

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, serbiadarksky said:

Well with the scope and that much of detail on andromeda he must use guiding becpuse unguided he cant or anyone cant archieve that.

The first 2 images are with the TS60, the second 2 are a 50mm prime lens. As for guiding, I don't bother. The Andromeda image for example. Taken from Kelling, a campsite in East England. 360 x 30 second exposures for Luminance. 90 x 10 second exposures for each RGB. That is all that is needed. Unguided can achieve that, as you don't need long subs on bright targets, especially with a fast system and a sensitive CMOS camera.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, M Astronomy said:

If he says its unguided then its unguided. You can get great results with just 30 second exposures that obviously don't need guiding. Maybe he has very good polar alignment, maybe he drift aligns. You don't know, so don't assume he just isn't telling the truth.

I have a polemaster, so PA is pretty good after doing that. Also, with short exposures, it doesn't really matter if it drifts slowly, natural dither,albeit during subs as well :)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Randalloverby said:

So when you updated the firmware, you printed off the new dial etc ?

Yup. Printed it off and fitted it under the dial. iirc I also had to cut out a clear plastic disc to protect the new dial disc 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's one from last night. 39x 60 second subs unguided with about a 60% Moon. I forgot to take some short exposures for the core as it was so cold last night.

Unmodded Canon 600d and samyang 135mm lens shot at f2. Stars are slightly off due to wind.

orion 135mm.jpg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All,

Merry Christmas to all Star Adventurer users.

Over two consecutive nights, the 27th and 28th December 2017 I was able to image the Flaming Star Nebula region in Auriga making first use of two new pieces of equipment received at Christmas, a modified Canon 700D DSLR and an Astronomik clip-in 12nm Ha filter. I also used my Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM lens. In all 31 x 600s light frames at ISO 200 and f/2 were combined with x22 dark frames, x50 flat frames and x54 bias frames in DSS and processed in StarTools. This is a first 'rush' of the imaging and I hope to tease out more detail over the coming days.

Auriga_Ha_1_Mono.thumb.jpg.d7fc25690e34231c500fb18a85753758.jpg

Cheers,
Steve

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.