Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Imaging with a Star Adventurer

7 hours ago, Shelster1973 said:

The SA does have a snap port built in, so you just need a cable to connect your camera to it and the intervalometer thing is sorted. 

This is what I use when imaging widefield dslr

Thanks for the info, I have the cable for it and I will download the firmware update as well when I get more familiar with the functions. It would have been nice if it had a LED display built in.:happy7:

Missed this thread till now. Shame on me. Some awesome work being done with this little mount.

I have not had my SA out for a while after a house move, but here are some of the images managed over the last 18 months with it, all unguided with both scope setup and a Canon 450d/50mm lens. Also showing off the mono rig on a Berlebach tripod to keep the whole thing low and out of the wind.

TS60_SA.jpg

m45_ii.jpg

Andromeda_LRGB_ii.jpg

Cygnus_Widefield.jpg

Milky_Sagittarius.jpg

• Like 14

3 hours ago, MattJenko said:

Missed this thread till now. Shame on me. Some awesome work being done with this little mount.

I have not had my SA out for a while after a house move, but here are some of the images managed over the last 18 months with it, all unguided with both scope setup and a Canon 450d/50mm lens. Also showing off the mono rig on a Berlebach tripod to keep the whole thing low and out of the wind.

TS60_SA.jpg

m45_ii.jpg

Andromeda_LRGB_ii.jpg

Cygnus_Widefield.jpg

Milky_Sagittarius.jpg

Thoose images are not with 50mm lenses.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, serbiadarksky said:

Well with the scope and that much of detail on andromeda he must use guiding becpuse unguided he cant or anyone cant archieve that.

If he says its unguided then its unguided. You can get great results with just 30 second exposures that obviously don't need guiding. Maybe he has very good polar alignment, maybe he drift aligns. You don't know, so don't assume he just isn't telling the truth.

Edited by M Astronomy
  • Like 1

Since I haven't tried timelapse imaging yet with the SA, it would be nice to see an in depth video tutorial covering everything from beginning to end while out in the field. Its going to be cloudy here for the next week at least so I have plenty of time to read and watch videos, LOL.

17 hours ago, serbiadarksky said:

Well with the scope and that much of detail on andromeda he must use guiding becpuse unguided he cant or anyone cant archieve that.

The first 2 images are with the TS60, the second 2 are a 50mm prime lens. As for guiding, I don't bother. The Andromeda image for example. Taken from Kelling, a campsite in East England. 360 x 30 second exposures for Luminance. 90 x 10 second exposures for each RGB. That is all that is needed. Unguided can achieve that, as you don't need long subs on bright targets, especially with a fast system and a sensitive CMOS camera.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, M Astronomy said:

If he says its unguided then its unguided. You can get great results with just 30 second exposures that obviously don't need guiding. Maybe he has very good polar alignment, maybe he drift aligns. You don't know, so don't assume he just isn't telling the truth.

I have a polemaster, so PA is pretty good after doing that. Also, with short exposures, it doesn't really matter if it drifts slowly, natural dither,albeit during subs as well :)

• Like 3

Here's one from last night. 39x 60 second subs unguided with about a 60% Moon. I forgot to take some short exposures for the core as it was so cold last night.

Unmodded Canon 600d and samyang 135mm lens shot at f2. Stars are slightly off due to wind.

orion 135mm.jpg

• Like 7

Hi All,

Merry Christmas to all Star Adventurer users.

Over two consecutive nights, the 27th and 28th December 2017 I was able to image the Flaming Star Nebula region in Auriga making first use of two new pieces of equipment received at Christmas, a modified Canon 700D DSLR and an Astronomik clip-in 12nm Ha filter. I also used my Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM lens. In all 31 x 600s light frames at ISO 200 and f/2 were combined with x22 dark frames, x50 flat frames and x54 bias frames in DSS and processed in StarTools. This is a first 'rush' of the imaging and I hope to tease out more detail over the coming days.

Auriga_Ha_1_Mono.thumb.jpg.d7fc25690e34231c500fb18a85753758.jpg

Cheers,
Steve

• Like 7