Jump to content

sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Imaging with a Star Adventurer


M Astronomy
 Share

Recommended Posts

Went out friday night to have my first DSO imaging session for this year. This was also the opportunity to test my new Skytech CLS filter. The target for the night was the double cluster, widefield and close up.

@70mm => 15 x 90s subs

Was a little bit disappointed because I did not catch any Ha from the Heart and Soul.

493385752_Widefielddoublecluster.thumb.jpg.87dc75e1fce5ba03bf3e17cdd71cd8db.jpg

 

@200mm => 15 x 60s subs

1419227083_Doubleclusterrezforum.thumb.jpg.ff9221d80b073b2c4492eacc0ee02a50.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Snooze said:

Went out friday night to have my first DSO imaging session for this year. This was also the opportunity to test my new Skytech CLS filter. The target for the night was the double cluster, widefield and close up.

@70mm => 15 x 90s subs

Was a little bit disappointed because I did not catch any Ha from the Heart and Soul.

493385752_Widefielddoublecluster.thumb.jpg.87dc75e1fce5ba03bf3e17cdd71cd8db.jpg

 

@200mm => 15 x 60s subs

1419227083_Doubleclusterrezforum.thumb.jpg.ff9221d80b073b2c4492eacc0ee02a50.jpg

You'll need a much longer total integration time to get any hint of the Heart and Soul.

Edited by 8472
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 17/09/2018 at 01:38, Andywilliams said:

I sometimes struggle with framing an object with my dslr on my star adventurer.

I am liking the look of the red dot finder mounted on the dslr hotshoe.

can anyone please give me a link to a reasonably priced purchase of this gear?

Do I need just the red dot finder or is there an added mount piece that I need to mount it on my dslr as you guys have done.

Cheers,

Andy

 

I have an adapter here to attach a standard QR base to a camera hotshoe - https://www.thingiverse.com/Jimmyjamjoejoe/designs

There are also a couple of arca plate to finder shoe adapters too which other star adventurer users might find useful for finder-guiders etc.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 20/11/2017 at 10:52, Icesheet said:

Here's two of my better efforts so far. Was delighted that I was able to pull out the Horsehead from the Orion widefield. I have a lot to learn but I would not have caught the bug without the Star Adventurer!

 

All these done with a Nikon D3200 and Sigma 70-200mm F2.8. Exposures range from 60-120sec. Typically ISO800-1600 at f4-6.3. The lens really isn't the best but good enough just now.

 

I would not hestitate to recommend it to you!

orion new.jpg

andromeda_edit_2.jpg

70-200mm f2.8 are among the most highly rated zoom lenses for general photography across several makes so it may be better than you think although what is good for one may not be the case for Astro I guess.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's my first serious effort with the SA Mini.

1 hour of 70 seconds @ ISO 400 Nikon D5300 and 105 macro F3.2

Slightly cropped and resized for forum.

I'm still terrible at processing but it's recognisable at least ? Andromeda.

 

 

M31 1 hour.png

Edited by knobby
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Really nice to see DSO's image from all of you guys. Makes me wanna own myself the setup.

Some post here using Nikon D5300 which I'm planning to buy. Is the model good enough for beginner?

If yes, can you guys help me list down all the 'must have' equipment in order to get started? Coz I believe my current equipment is only good for planetary imaging and brightest objects, not DSO or even nightscapes like Milky Way. So here's the list:

  1. DSLR (Nikon D5300)
  2. Star Adventurer
  3.  
  4.  
  5.  

 

Beside those 2 items, what else should I add in the list? Thank you in advance experts for your help. :help:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, waruna said:

Really nice to see DSO's image from all of you guys. Makes me wanna own myself the setup.

Some post here using Nikon D5300 which I'm planning to buy. Is the model good enough for beginner?

If yes, can you guys help me list down all the 'must have' equipment in order to get started? Coz I believe my current equipment is only good for planetary imaging and brightest objects, not DSO or even nightscapes like Milky Way. So here's the list:

  1. DSLR (Nikon D5300)
  2. Star Adventurer
  3. Samyang 135mm lens 
  4. Shutter release cable
  5. Decent ball head 

 

Beside those 2 items, what else should I add in the list? Thank you in advance experts for your help. :help:

I've put my answers in the quote. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, geordie85 said:

I've put my answers in the quote. 

Thank you Mr. Geordie,

I've checked market price for item 3-5. New is around $500. That's roughly times 4 in my country currency. Maybe can get those items at 2nd hand price around $200-300, I think.

Thank you sir for your response.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, 8472 said:

If cash is tight,  a vintage prime lens would make a reasonable compromise for the Samyang. 

Hi Sir,

Yes, budget is quite tight right now. Sorry for this noob question, but what is vintage prime lens? 

Is it achievable if I just use the DSLR stock lens kit for starter?

Thank you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, waruna said:

Sorry for this noob question, but what is vintage prime lens? 

There are a lot of Pentax Super Takumar lenses that are excellent for astro use, they have an M42 thread ( slightly different to a "standard M42 thread ) the 135mm 1.8 is good also the 200mm.

Dave

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.