Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_christmas_presents.thumb.jpg.587637e0d01baf4b6d21b73610610bbb.jpg

M Astronomy

Imaging with a Star Adventurer

13 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

I couldn't shift it on my own, took two hands to hang on to it, found it easier to do while attached to the tripod.

Dave

Demo, I think I got the strap wrench in Tool Station.

DSCF1110.png.c2bcbb4bce7760f739a1e71e265fc968.png

😲 You boys - you do overtighten things!

Edited by Thalestris24
  • Like 1

For the avoidance of doubt - which way did you turn things Dave? The Youtube advice say hold the clutch knob and turn the centre part anti-clockwise with the mounting bar as extra leverage if needed. 

Kerry 

19 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

I couldn't shift it on my own, took two hands to hang on to it, found it easier to do while attached to the tripod.

Dave

Demo, I think I got the strap wrench in Tool Station.

DSCF1110.png.c2bcbb4bce7760f739a1e71e265fc968.png

WOW! 😮

I'm a bit skeptical though. It might be something that happens only on my setup, but I need to be very careful and delicate with tightening the RA lock, otherwise I risk messing with the polar alignment.

I think that wrench might take it a step further..

2 minutes ago, kerrylewis said:

For the avoidance of doubt - which way did you turn things Dave? The Youtube advice say hold the clutch knob and turn the centre part anti-clockwise with the mounting bar as extra leverage if needed. 

Kerry 

If facing the SA, with the wedge adjustment nearest you, just turn the black clutch anti-clockwise whilst holding the centre\weight bar in place.

Louise

• Like 1

Just now, Thalestris24 said:

If facing the SA, with the wedge adjustment nearest you, just turn the black clutch anti-clockwise whilst holding the centre\weight bar in place.

Louise

OK thanks Louise. It wouldn't be the first time that I have spent ages trying to turn something the wrong way! I'm also a world-class cross threader! 

GOT IT! I gripped the raised bits on the clutch with a pair of pliers with a piece of cloth for protection, heave-ho and it went😀

Thanks Dave and Louise 

• Like 2

After yesterday's false start I'm now ready to go.

I previously agreed with myself that I would not get into AP as I was perfectly happy with visual only. However, last year I bought a new camera - a mirrorless Olympus with the potential for wifi control, and I thought I would give a go with AP. I went for the Olympus because I have owned them before and have a stock of lenses that I can use with an adapter.

After reading this interesting and very useful thread I decided that a Star Adventurer would be a relatively cheap way to dip my toe, and then one appeared in the Classifieds - so here I am. I intend to stick with simple DSLR stuff without guiding, at least for now 😀

After reading this thread I have a few questions:

1. My SA is a little over one year old and is the newer 'green' type. I am assuming that the firmware does not need updating?

2. Do people tend to use a right-angle viewer for the polarscope or manage OK without? I have a Manfrotto tripod which I intend to use and it can extend up a fair way, but I'm thinking that the more I extend it to avoid awkward PA viewing then it may be less stable.

3. I note that some users have a finder on the camera. Is this useful? From experience I do find it difficult to locate things by eye sometimes.

4. Some people seem to use a ball head to mount the camera and some not. I have one with the Manfrotto and it would seem that it offers more flexibility in pointing the camera at the right place, but also introduces another item to fiddle with and tighten.

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm looking forward to experimenting.

I should mention that I have the photo kit with the wedge etc

Kerry 

Edited by kerrylewis

46 minutes ago, kerrylewis said:

After yesterday's false start I'm now ready to go.

I previously agreed with myself that I would not get into AP as I was perfectly happy with visual only. However, last year I bought a new camera - a mirrorless Olympus with the potential for wifi control, and I thought I would give a go with AP. I went for the Olympus because I have owned them before and have a stock of lenses that I can use with an adapter.

After reading this interesting and very useful thread I decided that a Star Adventurer would be a relatively cheap way to dip my toe, and then one appeared in the Classifieds - so here I am. I intend to stick with simple DSLR stuff without guiding, at least for now 😀

After reading this thread I have a few questions:

1. My SA is a little over one year old and is the newer 'green' type. I am assuming that the firmware does not need updating?

2. Do people tend to use a right-angle viewer for the polarscope or manage OK without? I have a Manfrotto tripod which I intend to use and it can extend up a fair way, but I'm thinking that the more I extend it to avoid awkward PA viewing then it may be less stable.

3. I note that some users have a finder on the camera. Is this useful? From experience I do find it difficult to locate things by eye sometimes.

4. Some people seem to use a ball head to mount the camera and some not. I have one with the Manfrotto and it would seem that it offers more flexibility in pointing the camera at the right place, but also introduces another item to fiddle with and tighten.

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm looking forward to experimenting.

I should mention that I have the photo kit with the edge etc

Kerry 

1) Nope, if it ain't broke...

2) Personally, a right-angle viewer has been one of the most useful accessories for my SA, my advice is get one with 2x zoom.

3) Together with the right-angle viewer, a DSLR red dot finder on my hotshoe has been the best purchase I have made. Makes locating things 1000% easier, especially when you start using long telephotos and small scopes. Get a small one, as you don't want to be putting too much weight on the hotshoe, though.

4) Tried that to begin with, then quickly gave up. I found it nigh on impossible to get the mount evenly balanced. Might be good enough for wide shots, where the margin of error is greater, though.

Kev

Hi Kerry glad you got it unstuck without too much trouble, bit scary holding one tab of the locking ring with pliers, could have ended in tears :grin:

Agree with all Kev said, a DSLR right angle finder bodged on with a bit of Gorilla tape and plumbing fitting will save your back and keep the tripod low, I filed down a cheap RDF to fit the hotshoe but you can buy a proper attachment.

Never bothered trying to guide it as it can comfortably do a couple of minutes with a 300mm lens and wide angle is only limited by light pollution levels, I've done 15 minutes with 24mm at a dark site.

Depending on the framing desired the DSLR works fitted direct to the dovetail, if using a telephoto lens with a foot that gives another rotation so more flexible for framing your target.

First thing after PA is focusing using the brightest star you can find using live view then being careful to avoid knocking afterwards.

PA can be tweaked during an imaging session to keep Polaris tracking round the circle.

Good luck look forward to your first astro' image if the clouds ever clear.

Dave

Thanks for your advice Kev and Dave. I will be looking to get a right angle viewer and a red dot finder. Both seem relatively inexpensive ways of improving things.

Kerry 

Just for reference should it help anyone ..... @Davey-T suggested I post my results of my first attempt unguided with this mount and an ASI1600MM.

This is a test shot of 20 x 30 second sub-frames at 300 gain.

There is trailing as I managed to bump the mount as I was adjusting the scope on M45 - I think I may get 60 seconds out of this set up some day 🙂

It was very windy too but I think most of the imperfection is from the poor PA and a bit of tilt.

Also, the tune up the mount got at Dark Frame Optics made adjusting the RA soooo much smoother.

y4mVBpt7XqSpk80JNwZAFy6C6KhrbaDQZWMpHJKU

y4mKQKq-DtDEXFR_ftcqcmf4mNUEfqzXWwicUF2X

David

• Like 2

Managed a quick grab at M42 last night between clouds.

ED72/modded 450D on the SW SA, 60 second subs (37 minutes), plus darks and flats, ISO 800. Biggest complaint is that bright blue star on the right, but I'm guessing there was still some high level cloud. Other than that, considering the lack of time on target, quite chuffed with this. Even managed to not blow the core totally.

M42-1.jpg

• Like 8

Just taken me about 2 hours to read through this thread and I'm very impressed as to what this little mount can do. Planning on buying one next month and can't wait to get my camera pointing skyward 😃

• Like 4

My star adventurer arrived this afternoon so I had a quick go at setting it up. It's a really nice bit of kit, easy to set up and polar align. Weather conditions were rubbish though with intermittent cloud and it was a bit blowy. Looking forward to some better conditions to see what it can do 😃

20190207_214559_zpsez7jucmh.jpg

LRM_EXPORT_705039049415330_20190207_2234

LRM_EXPORT_706631622326307_20190207_2300

• Like 3

Results from my earlier post on the 28th of January and a further session on the 2nd of February.

The first session, 30 minutes each channel was unguided, the second session, 30 minutes each channel (total 1hr per channel LRGB) was guided.

Heavily cropped as my orientation from both sessions was wildly different - second image is the guided result of 30 minutes each channel.

y4m69tGCmyKxDywbCO6uBxI6dbYfwYMdMD7mzdLR

y4myxwdjJIbhhvSwsSkksKledOZunkYx8eXGv_Ma

David

• Like 2