Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_the_milky_way.thumb.jpg.dbd8b15e81d11e9303c8d6ef1898ac08.jpg

M Astronomy

Imaging with a Star Adventurer

Another 600mm mirror lens image - M33 Triangulum Galaxy, this time.

y4mhUjeLr0jAISIKYqcEj8l8u9IkHTVmZvh8l2Pw

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, 8472 said:

Another 600mm mirror lens image - M33 Triangulum Galaxy, this time.

That's pretty good! How many subs/length? How do you balance?

Louise

Thanks, Louise.

152x 60s lights (down from my previous 120, thanks to a timewasting Polemaster PA attempt)

51 Darks

60 Flats

120 Bias

As for balance, my lens has a collar, and I chose to make an extension for it to clear my mount, when my dslr is rotated away from landscape orientation.

20180913_224330-756x1008.thumb.jpg.9e26da6c4f12bc2304e5ed14477fa4df.jpg

• Like 1

I could do with something like that for my Samyang 500mm though I don't think there's anything commercially available and I don't have the means to make one. In any case, the collar on mine (such that it is) is only about 4mm wide. Had I realised before I bought it (several years ago), I'd probably have sought out a different brand. Oh well. Maybe I'll get another, one day.

Louise

Ah right, mine is a Sigma which came with one. You may get lucky with a generic aftermarket one, but I wouldn't throw too much money at it. Mirror lenses aren't really best suited for astro use and the only reason my pictures look OK-ish is because of heavy PP (thank you, Startools!).

Certainly usable images, if you're prepared to put in the PP time and effort, though.

45 minutes ago, 8472 said:

Ah right, mine is a Sigma which came with one. You may get lucky with a generic aftermarket one, but I wouldn't throw too much money at it. Mirror lenses aren't really best suited for astro use and the only reason my pictures look OK-ish is because of heavy PP (thank you, Startools!).

Certainly usable images, if you're prepared to put in the PP time and effort, though.

I bought a Samyang 500mm f6.3 which I tried a few years ago and found ok. It was to potentially use on the SA but balancing was problematic and also the SA tracking was terrible at the time... I still have the lens - it lives in a box in the bedroom ha ha. If I could figure out a way to mount it maybe I could resurrect it to use with the improved SA, but it's not a priority. I suppose I might get more out of it with daytime use or maybe even solar with Baader film. I have the 2x converter which might make it better for solar with a dslr. Mind you, with the near permacloud up here, it's just a dream at the moment!

Louise

• Like 1

Anyone here knows what is causing my images to shift? I have all tighten up, so this shifting is creating hard walking noise...

Usually bad polar alignment.. happens to me all the time.

Often after you polar align, everything you touch, from pointing the telescope to even tightening all the equatorial wedge screws can lead to a shift from the polar axis.

You just have to learn being very, very delicate (and I'm still learning 😓)

Well I've only opened Pandora's Box and jumped into guiding...

20180914_204900-756x1008.thumb.jpg.53405532a5c57af0b7b75ec9d55b5c9f.jpg

Can someone please explain to me what the numbers below mean, as I have ham-fisted my way through it and really don't know what I'm doing.

20180915_002311-1008x756.thumb.jpg.34b816ebed76df3baf4378bb1ad01f69.jpg

Cheers,

Kev

Never tried guiding mine so no idea what a good SWSA guide graph should be like, it looks like it's over correcting but may just be a mechanical limitation.

Dave

Edited by Davey-T
  • Like 1

Evening all!

I too tried guiding, and just got a bunch of errors after selecting a guide star and letting it go, so gave up and turned it off. Will work on it next clear night. Anyway, finally got a first light with the ASI294MC Pro. No flats, darks or bias (need to work out what is and isn't needed for that camera). Stacked in SharpCap (live stacked), and minimal processing in Photoshop (levels, black point, curves, exposure).

M31 Andromeda - cooled to -5 degrees, Gain 120, exposure 60s x 45

Andromeda_small.thumb.png.ec659f04e1fe50c41150faf45bdf8f00.png

M45 Pliades - Not cooled, taken at 3 degrees (forgot to switch on cooling), Gain 270, exposure 20s x 116

Pliades_small.thumb.png.189926d62121b8af6ddf3c8c4452ad8c.png

My spacing was off. I forgot to account for my LP filter properly, so i'm out by at least 5mm which has caused the elongated stars from all edges. The M31 has red artefacts, but I think that's a problem with my combining of the RGB layers in photoshop. In the M45, there's halos around the brighter of the 7 sisters, so need to work on that. I'm also missing a chunk of nebulosity. Not too bad given the moon was out and about. 

Not a bad 1st light by all accounts!

Edited by agthomson
  • Like 1

I sometimes struggle with framing an object with my dslr on my star adventurer.

I am liking the look of the red dot finder mounted on the dslr hotshoe.

can anyone please give me a link to a reasonably priced purchase of this gear?

Do I need just the red dot finder or is there an added mount piece that I need to mount it on my dslr as you guys have done.

Cheers,

Andy

6 hours ago, Andywilliams said:

I sometimes struggle with framing an object with my dslr on my star adventurer.

I am liking the look of the red dot finder mounted on the dslr hotshoe.

can anyone please give me a link to a reasonably priced purchase of this gear?

Do I need just the red dot finder or is there an added mount piece that I need to mount it on my dslr as you guys have done.

Cheers,

Andy

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F162856656458

You will need to fabricate or purchase your own hotshoe mounting bracket, though.

I got mine from Astroboot, and I've seen just the shoe plate to use on eBay before if already have suitable red dot finder.