SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sol in Ha - 2017-11-19

PhotoGav

The Sun came out this afternoon, behind a veil of hazy cloud, so I had a little play. Two new toys to test; an SSD installed in a caddy that slots in the place of the optical drive and a tilt adapter. The SSD worked a treat and my buffer write times after the capture were dramatically reduced and on occasion, eliminated. Very happy with that upgrade and at about £75 for a 240GB internal SSD, installed without major complications, I don't think that's bad at all! The tilt adapter was a little trickier and I eventually achieved focus and even reduced the Newton's Rings, but I couldn't eliminate them completely. I suffered from blobs on the sensor window, which are most evident in the close up. I spent most of the session cleaning things trying to get rid of the blobs. It was only after the Sun had gone behind the rose bush and I moved inside that I found where the blobs were and have now cleaned them off. Hopefully the next session will be less blobby!

As for that prominence, it looks like a kiwi to me, though I'm not sure if his long beak broke off between shots or just wasn't resolved in the close up?!

2017-11-19_Sol_FullDiskProms-02.thumb.png.eb47346c9f5ef36ea2da8af33624a15f.png

2017-11-19_Sol_Prom1-03.thumb.png.e63aa3d68f944dbf0d5ba79c5a4b5053.png

9 hours ago, David Smith said:

Nice shot. That's a good size filament.

Thanks David. That filament complex is huge. Looking on GONG, it has travelled across the disk and has a whole left side to it, making it look very much like a droopy handlebar moustache!! Unfortunately it has been wall to wall cloud here and looks set to continue like that for this week. Boo hoo.

Archived