Lunar Phase - New moon

Seeing - Excellent

Equipment - 12” dobsonian

Eyepieces - ES 30mm 82d

ES 20mm 100d

ES 14mm 100d

ES 9mm 100d

Additional info - 

What a night definitely one of the best for not only lovely clear crisp sky but also every target I searched for I found within minutes.
A night for open clusters and a few old favourites namely andromeda which showed some lovely detail and the great M42 showing probably the best detail I’ve seen to date.
So 4 Messiers bagged my favourite being M34 which I decided to sketch.
It was the first open cluster I looked for and at 50x it’s breathtaking how many stars in the surrounding star field there are so I decided to up to 75x which I think was a good choice.
I then proceeded to hop from the surrounding clusters M36/M37/M38 all lovely clusters to observe and probably future sketches also ?
I then finished the night with andromeda and M42 lovely clouds of dust and detail to see And a great way to finish by far the best session I’ve had this winter ?
Time to sit down and compile a new list for next time ?

Clear skies ✨?????

Richard

2335CD0C-CCCA-423A-9C09-FF505F53CABE.jpeg

Great report and sketch! :smile:

All very fine targets in your list. M35 in Gemini will not disappoint you either... NOT AT ALL!! :D  If the sky is dark enough, you could try the Rosette Nebula with an OIII filter and the ES30 82. Inside this nebula there is the Satellite cluster. It is on the line from Meissa (Ori) to Beltegeuse (Ori) extending to Monocerous. There are some pretty open clusters in Monocerous. Just some ideas for the coming months. :) 

7 minutes ago, Piero said:

Great report and sketch! :smile:

All very fine targets in your list. M35 in Gemini will not disappoint you either... NOT AT ALL!! :D  If the sky is dark enough, you could try the Rosette Nebula with an OIII filter and the ES30 82. Inside this nebula there is the Satellite cluster. It is on the line from Meissa (Ori) to Beltegeuse (Ori) extending to Monocerous. There are some pretty open clusters in Monocerous. Just some ideas for the coming months. :) 

Thank you piero and some excellent recommendations I will definitely add them to my list the Rosette Nebula i have considered before certainly looks stunning if I can find it ?

I’m always a sucker for a nice open cluster M35 will be added also thank you piero ?

That's a wonderful drawing Richard, I recognized it instantly as I was observing the same object myself a few days ago in good conditions with my 120ED.  I love open clusters and will look forward to seeing any future drawings of some of the clusters you mentioned - and others please!

5 hours ago, paulastro said:

That's a wonderful drawing Richard, I recognized it instantly as I was observing the same object myself a few days ago in good conditions with my 120ED.  I love open clusters and will look forward to seeing any future drawings of some of the clusters you mentioned - and others please!

Thank you Paul I try to sketch as close to what I can see through the ep no more no less.

I compared this sketch to other images and was pleasantly surprised how accurate it is.

I still have a lot of pages in my sketch book to fill so I’m sure it won’t be to long (hopefully) before I get another chance to put pencil to paper and do my best to sketch the cosmos.

Open clusters have been my favourite dso for a while now but since I acquired a ES 30mm even more so simply stunning.

• 1 month later...

Archived