Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A journey with Deneb

happy-kat

The more I fiddle the easier it is just to be out side with the stars and with/with out a camera, processing is a different matter. I think it is easier when either there is less street light/sky glow and definitely when there is no hedge in the way to creep up insidiously on your imaging area. All processes used raw, DSS then very light processing in StarTools and saveas png in PaintShopPro.

A year ago this was the first time on this area, 50 x 6 seconds plus flats and bias 1600 ISO. 50mm super takumar lens baader neodymium filer and 1100d unmodded but used my Virtuoso mount (before I sorted out getting it to track properly.

Deneb v2.png

Yesterday 40mm pancake lens same filter and camera though this time on my home made manual barn door mount. 49 lights, 20 flats and 22 bias. Combination of f2.8 or f4 all 1600 ISO I can't focus using the tablet as the filter which is necessary cuts too much light getting through (it doesn't on the 50mm lens) so it was take a shot inspect on tablet repeat till focused. 45 x 30 seconds 1 x 3 minute, 2 x one minute and 1 x 2 minute lights. 

The lights taken with f2.8 let loads more data through but the lens then show chromatic aberration. Stopped down to f4 sharpens the stars up nicely but losses much data.

Processing did mean first cropping and the area is not the same on all of them and I did bin one image but not the other.

This is a rather messy process of the entire stack (cropped to remove hedge artifacts).

5a10aaa64e4b9_Autosaveallfilesv1.thumb.png.488e8bf02c0699f7a6b3d2720cd2c5ca.png

This is a stack using just f4. Much tighter stars but much less data.

5a10abb9e4925_Autosavef4filesv1.thumb.png.e13a2b1bc341485a0957fd1044a4e253.png

This is a single 3 minute exposure at f4.

IMG_0544.JPG

So where next, no hedge I think.... and more data... oh and possibly a process of just the 3 minute exposure with flats and bias.

The combo image is only from the 40mm lens from same night just combo of f2.8 and f4. I tried the intermediate stops but they still showed star bloat. If the sky had cleared earlier as forecasted the hedge wouldn't have crept up on me so fast. I think next opportunity I'll be brave and do more longer exposures with the risk of less success rate due to poor operation of the mount by me. F4 does look like where I'll have to stay and hope the longer exposure compensates for using f4. I thought this pancake lens only had 6 aprature blades but looks like it's got loads. The trouble with the hedge is it really makes processing using StarTools more difficult perhaps I should try an exclusion mask over all the hedge artifacts.

Archived