Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ngc 1023

Wiu-Wiu

Reading THIS topic, I wanted to revisit NGC 1023. My last observation of this galaxy was in december 2016, and in my notes from that night, I wrote "it looks like a small Andromeda Galaxy". 

There are a couple of nice Messiers real near to this one, and it is a wonder why this one was overlooked by Messier, and didn't make his list. 

It is a nice elongated galaxy, bright and it has a bright core, that is just as bright as some of the field stars. The galaxy fans out more to one side, or is edged sharper on the other, depending how you put it :)

Very nice object to sketch, and to observe visually. 

5a1033e5f0859_171117NGC1023.thumb.jpg.9be21d669158644f7e137e3941382569.jpg

They do! I’m always glad to find similar sketches; it confirms my observation in a way :) after some time one could be drawing things that aren’t there for any reason. I find your sketch of the galaxy more accurate as I remind it (the sharp edge, the core,...) well done!!

Archived