Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Sign in to follow this  
Stub Mandrel

Yet another Andromeda Galaxy...

To my surprise last night wasn't a complete write-off. I managed to get another 135 minutes of decent 5-minute frames of M31, this time without my LP filter. Total of 3 hours 55 minutes with my cooled canon. There was some streaky noise caused by drifting very thin cloud.

The subs were much brighter and no moon plus high elevation meant I got away with it. The mix of frames with and without filter stopped the core being too badly blown out. I think I've controlled my urge to over-process this time, but any suggestions for improvement welcome.

5a10272d2ed24_Andromedatwonights.thumb.png.d420109d0d8d6a9a5e2a7ab428a30a20.png

• Like 6

Well I think that is very nice indeed. I had a little go at this as I am very much on the learn as to this art. I found the core was beginning to burn out even after about 20x30 sec lights, by which time of course there were no dust lanes detail at all, just a hint they were there. How do you hold the core from burning out?

Alan

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, alan potts said:

How do you hold the core from burning out?

I make sure my stretches don't affect the brighter part of the image by applying an 'S'-shaped curve, that seems to work.

Thanks for that I think I understand it, what I did was hardly any good I didn't even get all 3 galaxies in the frame, I am only learning. I am fairly decent in PS but need a bit of practice as for so long now I have used Element for normal camera work but it will come. It would be nice to get rid of this grey at the moment.

Alan

It's just practice. Just keep everything as you will go back and find more detail as you discover new techniques.

I've just blended in a layer with some contrast enhancement, again I've tried not to over do it:

5a103559f153e_Andromedatwonights.thumb.png.b34ee4efec199b823e3b3933a0193d95.png

• Like 1

I feel Neil maybe the "line not over do it" is about the only thing apart from the capture where normal and AP are the same. I have seen many and probably done myself, photo's ruined by not knowing when to stop, the main reason that I still use filters to get the sky right.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Batesy82
      Hi guys,
      I've literally just signed up so I'm totally new here and excited to learn from all you professional astromaster... 
      I'm not sure if this is the right place to post so I do apologise if not... 
      I'm after a skywatcher eq3 pro goto mount for my celestron astromaster 130eq every website i go on they are out of stock and not available for a couple of months 🙄 does anybody know a stockist that has these in stock? I've only been in the astrophotography hobby 4 weeks so I've got lots to learn... 

Thank you for your help 
    • By uhb1966
      Hello everybody!
      I measured my setup times when i did my last imaging run. Absolutely shocking 🤔 
      Step 1: unmount 8" quattro, disassemble EQ6 into 3 parts, move parts to terrace and reassemble EQ6, remount 8", without counterweights: 6 minutes 50 seconds (correct position marked on terrace, with right arm hurt, good time ) 
      Step 2: Mount counterweights and set scope to park position: 1 minute 55 secs
      Step 3: Connect power sources and connect all cabling: 20 minutes
      Step 4: get the computer and software running (on a very good night): 10 minutes
      Step 5: Let my old QHY8 cam and the scope cool down: 1 hour - otherwise i get strong gradients!
      Total prep time: 1 hour 39 minutes. Obviously, the cable time could be improved massively by training. But even if we could get the cabling time to zero, i'd get only down to 1h24', with the total time being dominated by the cooling of my rig.
      Open question: As i would not leave my cam outside, there seems no real possibly to cut down significantly on my prep time, even with a small obsy? Or am i doing something wrong?
      Best, U.
      P.S.: Getting an expensive cam is right now no good option  

• By Lee_P
      Lots of astro kit for sale! Payment via bank transfer or PayPal (buyer to pay fees). Reasonable offers considered.

1. Sky-Watcher Evostar 80ED DS-Pro Outfit with auto focuser upgrade -- £350
      Comes with diagonal, 28mm 2” eyepiece, 2" to 1.25" eyepiece adapter, dovetail, tube rings, SkyWatcher Auto Focuser, HitecAstro DC Focus Controller USB, metal case. Approx. cost new: £562. Buyer to collect from central Bristol, or buyer to arrange for a courier. Note: doesn’t come with a finder / guider, but I have some available (listed below).
      Main items similar to: 
      https://www.firstlightoptics.com/pro-series/skywatcher-evostar-80ed-ds-pro-outfit.html
      https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/skywatcher-auto-focuser.html
      http://ensoptical.co.uk/hitecastro-dc-focus-controller-usb

2. Sky-Watcher .85x Reducer/Flattener for ED80 -- £120 inc. recorded delivery to mainland UK 
      https://www.firstlightoptics.com/pro-series/skywatcher-85x-reducer-flattener-for-ed80.html

3. Sky-Watcher Skymax 150 PRO -- £300
      Comes with diagonal, 28mm 2” eyepiece, and dovetail. Note: doesn’t come with a finder / guider, but I have some available (listed below). Buyer to collect from central Bristol, or buyer can arrange for a courier.
      It's an earlier version of this: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/maksutov/skywatcher-skymax-150-pro.html
      Works well with items 7, 8, and 9.

4. Sky-Watcher 9x50 and QHY5 mono guidescope -- £150 inc. recorded delivery to mainland UK
      Includes T thread adapter attaching the QHY5 to the finderscope. Also includes kit to convert into a regular optical finderscope. 

5. Sky-Watcher 9x50 Finderscope -- £30 inc. delivery to mainland UK
      https://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/skywatcher-9x50-finderscope.html

6. Sky-Watcher EQ3 PRO mount -- £220
      In pretty good condition, and includes the handset for full goto functionality. Unboxed. Buyer to collect from central Bristol, or buyer can arrange for a courier.
      It's an earlier version of this: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-eq3-pro-synscan-goto.html

7. Astrozap Dew Heater Tape, 6" 'scope -- £30 inc. delivery to mainland UK
      https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dew-prevention/astrozap-dew-heater-tapes.html

8. Astrozap Flexible Dew Shield for Skymax 150 -- £20 inc. delivery to mainland UK
      https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dew-prevention/astrozap-flexible-dew-shield.html

9. StarSharp Bahtinov Focus Mask 150mm Maksutov -- £10 inc. delivery to mainland UK
      https://www.firstlightoptics.com/bahtinov-focus-masks/starsharp-bahtinov-focus-masks.html

Items 1 and 4:

Item 2:

Items 3, 5, 7:

Item 5:

Item 6:

Item 8:

Item 9:

• By Savage234
      I recently upgraded to a purpose made astro-camera (Atik Horizon Color). The learning curve has definitely been noticeable, but I cant figure a couple things out.  For some reason the pictures are grey scale when using N.I.N.A. I have tried different binning and formats, but the image is always black and white. 
      If I use the ATIK software (Infinity,Dusk) there is an option for 'Color Binning', and that seems to have fixed it for those programs, but N.I.N.A doesn't seem to have that option (you can not select anything for binning, or select 1x1, 2x2 ect.). But what makes it weirder is that the preview is always color using N.I.N.A. I used a pinhole lens cover to take pictures of my computer screen and it always shows up as color images. However, if I take that exact image file that previews in color and move it to pixinsight, it is grey-scale. 
      Is this a binning thing, file format problem? At this point I am just confused, if the preview of the image is color shouldn't the image data be color as well?
      So far all the problems I have had with this camera have just been simple things that were new to me, but this one is really throwing me for a loop. Thanks for any help. 
      I've attached a couple images. The first you can see the NINA preview is color, as well with the couple other I took in the bottom right. And the other in a photo of trying to color saturate the stretched image in Pixinsight, and it says that it cannot saturate a grey-scale image.  I have tried this with Tif, Fits, and various binning types. 
    • By gutaker
      Hi guys, it's my first post here, so Hello!
      My synscan goto upgrade started to act like in this video of mine SynScan GOTO Skipping after being disassembled for few weeks in the closet. There were no such problems before.
      When it slews at rates above x3 everything is fine and smooth but as soon as it starts tracking at x3, it skips steps or something like that.
      My setup is eq3-2 on alu and SW 150/750 with Canon 700D attached.
      Thanks in advance for any clues or ideas!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.