SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

EQ8 confusion with EQMOD

swag72

Trying to get  my EQ8 setup and hitting a brick wall....... I hope someone can help.

I have loaded the following on my PC.

ASCOM platform 6.3
EQMOD

The EQ8 is connecting to EQMOD and I can move it via the EQMOD screen. But I cannot find anywhere an option for the EQ8. The connection in the EQMOD screen is showing HEQ5/6, in ASCOM tools it's not giving me any EQ8 option ..... am I missing something? Surely I can't run an EQ8 when the PC thinks that it's an HEQ5? When I connect to CdC again I am not getting any EQ8 option.

At least it's connected I suppose..... albeit it thinks it's something else.

I wonder whether since they are of the same "family" whether the HEQ5/6 mode serves for EQ8 too, especially since it seems to work with it and all that's wrong is that EQMod/CdC just needs it's menu updating. 

But since I am not technical Sara, it's only a guess.

Carole 

Carole is correct ( I think ) you just connect using the HEQ5/6 EQMOD- As I do with a AZEQ6 (no special driver). They all use the same protocol - only the elecrical (data) interface(pins) is different (i.e. RJ45, DB9 etc). This will be the same selection in CDC as you are calling up the Ascom/EQMOD. Try it during the day and I bet it works - assuming you have the correct cables ! Clear Skies

2 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

From the start menu go to Eqmod and the select Setup Eqascom. Select the pulldown menu "Mount Options" and then select "custom" from the two options. Press the tool button to open a new dialogue box. From there you can select select EQ8 as the mount.

Thanks Peter..... done that now...... I think that was what I was looking for.

Sorry I am confused as hell now - I thought you wanted EQMOD connection(which you have working) but you were looking for a specific EQ8 EQMOD Ascom connection - as far as I know here is NO EQ8 EQMOD ASCOM driver (is here ????) The Ascom driver Skywatcher driver setup from the Ascom Drivers site (which I think is the same as the one from Skywatcher site) is not for EQMOD but for Skywatchers (and other apps) SynScan  Hand controller.

"This driver is designed to work with HC versions 3.38.1 or 4.38.8 or more. These
are identified in the notes below as x.38. Earlier versions should have some
functionality but will not implement everything"

I am more confused than Sara now - p.s. the downloaded driver doesn't appear in my Ascom Drop down on my PC either( HEQ5 or otherwise ) when setting up from CDC ???????????????????

I would be interested to know the answer - If you get it working Sara please add to this thread !!

Here's my EQMOD settings........... Stupidly I assumed that EQ8 would appear in the top and I really thought I'd seen that on other peoples screen grabs. But it is all working as far as I can test in the day and slews in CdC OK.

EQMD.jpg

8 minutes ago, stash_old said:

Sorry I am confused as hell now - I thought you wanted EQMOD connection(which you have working) but you were looking for a specific EQ8 EQMOD Ascom connection - as far as I know here is NO EQ8 EQMOD ASCOM driver (is here ????) The Ascom driver Skywatcher driver setup from the Ascom Drivers site (which I think is the same as the one from Skywatcher site) is not for EQMOD but for Skywatchers (and other apps) SynScan  Hand controller.

"This driver is designed to work with HC versions 3.38.1 or 4.38.8 or more. These
are identified in the notes below as x.38. Earlier versions should have some
functionality but will not implement everything"

I am more confused than Sara now - p.s. the downloaded driver doesn't appear in my Ascom Drop down on my PC either( HEQ5 or otherwise ) when setting up from CDC ???????????????????

I would be interested to know the answer - If you get it working Sara please add to this thread !!

Reloaded PC and CDC and the Ascom "Skywatcher telescope driver" is shown but does show EQ8

4 minutes ago, swag72 said:

Here's my EQMOD settings........... Stupidly I assumed that EQ8 would appear in the top and I really thought I'd seen that on other peoples screen grabs. But it is all working as far as I can test in the day and slews in CdC OK.

EQMD.jpg

Phew thought I was loosing it - however the driver that was suggested above does provide an alternative to EQMOD (it seems) and does work with CDC - i think it emulates the hand controller so is EQ to EQMOD. Glad you are sorted.

skywatcher.jpg

Ooh I missed this post Sara. Feel free to PM me anytime if I can help. Yeah it just id’s as heq5/6. It detects the feature set & presents the options in the dev area on the far right. The great thing is that EQMod now sends those settings to the mount every time it connects whereas before you had to manually switch off again after each power cycle (handset or the unofficial & some say buggy Eq8tools). I have found disabling encoders & not using PEC to be less problematic with my setup. Bearing in mind ACP is running my show & as mentioned before the offset balancing is “fun... not!” So I just focus on meridian & west.

On 18/11/2017 at 14:38, swag72 said:

EQMD.jpg

The EQMOD ASCOM driver was developed as a driver for the skywatcher protocol first introduced with the skywatcher EQ6 hand HEQ5 mounts. In tihs context HEQ5/6 is identifying thee protocol format rather than providing a comprehnsive list of all the mount types that run it (a list that continues to expand as skywatcher introduce new products). Whilst the text circled in the screenshot is the default you can change it to anything you want via the setup screen "friendly name" field (if you are lucky enough to have two mounts this provides an easy way to keep track on which EQMOD instance is controlling which mount!)

As has already been mentoned EQMOD will uatomatically detect whay mount is being used and you do not need to to set EQ8 as the mount type in the custom mount options - (the custom mounts settings are intneded for setting customised geraring ratios for use with modified mounts - if you're using your mount "out of the box" stay clear!)

Chris.

22 hours ago, chrisshillito said:

The EQMOD ASCOM driver was developed as a driver for the skywatcher protocol first introduced with the skywatcher EQ6 hand HEQ5 mounts. In tihs context HEQ5/6 is identifying thee protocol format rather than providing a comprehnsive list of all the mount types that run it (a list that continues to expand as skywatcher introduce new products). Whilst the text circled in the screenshot is the default you can change it to anything you want via the setup screen "friendly name" field (if you are lucky enough to have two mounts this provides an easy way to keep track on which EQMOD instance is controlling which mount!)

As has already been mentoned EQMOD will uatomatically detect whay mount is being used and you do not need to to set EQ8 as the mount type in the custom mount options - (the custom mounts settings are intneded for setting customised geraring ratios for use with modified mounts - if you're using your mount "out of the box" stay clear!)

Chris.

Hi Chris ,

Sorry to  hijack your reply (and to Sara) but is EQMOD ever going to allow direct Wifi / Wired lan connections instead of or as an alternative to rs232/Serial. Yes I know,as I have done it,I can use something like HW Virtual Com to convert serial to UDP/TCP etc but it would be nice if EQMOD removed this extra burden. Maybe the use of UDP or at a push MQTT (yes it would need a Broker). Just wanted to know if there was any thoughts in this direction. Many thanks for your great software.

Clive

Archived